Earth's rotational speed when its gravity is 5.0m/s2

In summary, the rotational speed of the Earth would need to increase in order to halve the effective gravity at the equator. This is a contrived hypothetical situation and the use of an arbitrary number implies a homework question. The equation for centripetal acceleration and the radius of the Earth can be used to calculate this speed.
amosor
What will be the rotational speed of the Earth when gravity would be
only 5.0m/s2

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Why would it be different? Since this is a contrived hypothetical, you'll need to explain...Are you assuming its rotational momentum is the same and its inertia is different?

Odd question. Use of an arbitrary number implies homework. Maybe the OP misparaphrased something like "how much would the Earth's spin need increase, in order to halve effective gravity at the equator"?

cesiumfrog said:
Odd question. Use of an arbitrary number implies homework. Maybe the OP misparaphrased something like "how much would the Earth's spin need increase, in order to halve effective gravity at the equator"?

Yes, you express my question more precisely. Will you be kind to help me to calculate this speed and show me the way you do it?
Thanks.

Yes, you express my question more precisely. Will you be kind to help me to calculate this speed and show me the way you do it?
Thanks

Well, do you know the equation for centripetal acceleration and the radius of the earth...?

1. How does Earth's rotational speed change with a gravity of 5.0m/s2?

Earth's rotational speed is not directly affected by its gravity. However, if its gravity were to change, it could affect the distribution of mass on the planet and potentially alter the rotational speed.

2. Is there a specific speed at which Earth rotates with a gravity of 5.0m/s2?

Earth's rotational speed is not dependent on its gravity. The planet's rotation is influenced by factors such as its size and composition, rather than the strength of its gravity.

3. How does Earth's rotational speed compare to other planets with a gravity of 5.0m/s2?

The rotational speed of a planet is not directly related to its gravity. Therefore, Earth's rotational speed may be different from other planets with the same gravity, depending on their sizes, compositions, and other factors.

4. Can Earth's rotational speed be measured with a gravity of 5.0m/s2?

Earth's rotational speed can be measured using various methods, such as observing the movement of celestial bodies or using specialized equipment. A gravity of 5.0m/s2 would not affect the ability to measure Earth's rotational speed.

5. How does Earth's rotational speed affect its day length with a gravity of 5.0m/s2?

The rotational speed of a planet can influence its day length, but it is not solely determined by gravity. Other factors such as the planet's tilt and the distance from the sun also play a role in determining the length of a day on Earth.