Easy way to make carbonic acid from other chemicals

  • Thread starter Thread starter kelvin490
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acid Chemicals
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
kelvin490
Gold Member
Messages
227
Reaction score
3
TL;DR
Easy way to make carbonic acid from other chemicals
Hi, everyone. I would like to test for the reaction between carbonic acid and copper (to simulate the effect of acid rain on copper). However, I find that many supplies failed to provide carbonic acid (either in powder or liquid form). Some says that carbonic acid is unstable and thus cannot supply it. Therefore, I want to make it myself. Are there any simple ways to make carbonic acid from other chemicals (e.g. sodium carbonate?).

Also, I have found some carbonic acid powder in some commercial product such as this one:
https://www.hktvmall.com/hktv/en/ma...Acid-Cool-Bathing-Powder/p/S1098001_S_HKG-024

But it is for bathing instead of chemical use. Can they produce carbonic acid?

Any answers and comments are welcome. Thank you very much for helping.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Just saturate the solution with carbon dioxide. As far as I remember pure carbonic acid requires quite exotic conditions to exist.
 
kelvin490 said:
Can they produce carbonic acid?

The tablets produce carbon-dioxide which dissolves in the water creating carbonic acid. Likely the tablets are sodium bi-carbonate and some solid acid. Alkaseltzer is similar and uses citric acid.

BoB
 
Seltzer water? Or a drinking fountain without the syrup? How about placing copper sample into a soda pop bottle filled with water. “Pop” in a pellet of dry ice and close with screw cap.
 
chemisttree said:
“Pop” in a pellet of dry ice and close with screw cap.
PLEASE DON'T SEAL DRY ICE IN AN AIRTIGHT CONTAINER!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: rbelli1
TeethWhitener said:
PLEASE DON'T SEAL DRY ICE IN AN AIRTIGHT CONTAINER!
That’s how we used to carbonate homemade root beer. A pellet about the size of a pea into a 12 oz bottle and then cap it closed. Using a screw cap to close it implies using a plastic bottle, although I didn’t specify. One pellet in 12 oz isn’t going to make a bomb y’know!
 
Paraphrasing Paracelsus - it is a dose that makes a bomb.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chemisttree