Easy way to make carbonic acid from other chemicals

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of carbonic acid in a simulation of acid rain on copper. The speaker is unable to find a reliable source of carbonic acid and is looking for ways to make it themselves. They mention finding carbonic acid powder in a bath product, but question its effectiveness in producing carbonic acid. Suggestions are given to saturate a solution with carbon dioxide or use alkaseltzer tablets to create carbonic acid. However, it is cautioned not to seal dry ice in an airtight container for safety reasons.
kelvin490
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Easy way to make carbonic acid from other chemicals
Hi, everyone. I would like to test for the reaction between carbonic acid and copper (to simulate the effect of acid rain on copper). However, I find that many supplies failed to provide carbonic acid (either in powder or liquid form). Some says that carbonic acid is unstable and thus cannot supply it. Therefore, I want to make it myself. Are there any simple ways to make carbonic acid from other chemicals (e.g. sodium carbonate?).

Also, I have found some carbonic acid powder in some commercial product such as this one:
https://www.hktvmall.com/hktv/en/ma...Acid-Cool-Bathing-Powder/p/S1098001_S_HKG-024

But it is for bathing instead of chemical use. Can they produce carbonic acid?

Any answers and comments are welcome. Thank you very much for helping.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Just saturate the solution with carbon dioxide. As far as I remember pure carbonic acid requires quite exotic conditions to exist.

kelvin490 said:
Can they produce carbonic acid?

The tablets produce carbon-dioxide which dissolves in the water creating carbonic acid. Likely the tablets are sodium bi-carbonate and some solid acid. Alkaseltzer is similar and uses citric acid.

BoB

Seltzer water? Or a drinking fountain without the syrup? How about placing copper sample into a soda pop bottle filled with water. “Pop” in a pellet of dry ice and close with screw cap.

chemisttree said:
“Pop” in a pellet of dry ice and close with screw cap.
PLEASE DON'T SEAL DRY ICE IN AN AIRTIGHT CONTAINER!

Likes rbelli1
TeethWhitener said:
PLEASE DON'T SEAL DRY ICE IN AN AIRTIGHT CONTAINER!
That’s how we used to carbonate homemade root beer. A pellet about the size of a pea into a 12 oz bottle and then cap it closed. Using a screw cap to close it implies using a plastic bottle, although I didn’t specify. One pellet in 12 oz isn’t going to make a bomb y’know!

Paraphrasing Paracelsus - it is a dose that makes a bomb.

Likes chemisttree

What is carbonic acid and why is it important?

Carbonic acid is a weak acid that is formed when carbon dioxide dissolves in water. It is important because it plays a crucial role in regulating the pH of many natural systems, such as the ocean, and is also used in various industrial processes.

What are some common chemicals that can be used to make carbonic acid?

Some common chemicals that can be used to make carbonic acid include carbon dioxide, water, and various carbonates such as sodium bicarbonate and calcium carbonate.

What is the easiest way to make carbonic acid from other chemicals?

The easiest way to make carbonic acid from other chemicals is by dissolving carbon dioxide gas in water. This can be done by simply bubbling carbon dioxide through a container of water until it is fully saturated.

Can carbonic acid be made in a laboratory setting?

Yes, carbonic acid can be easily made in a laboratory setting by combining carbon dioxide gas with water. This process can be controlled and monitored to produce a desired concentration of carbonic acid.

What are some potential uses for carbonic acid?

Carbonic acid has many potential uses, including adjusting the pH of solutions, removing calcium deposits, and producing carbonated beverages. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as in the production of fertilizers and in the oil and gas industry.