Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Economist uses Drake equation to predicts odds of finding GF

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought this forum is the perfect place to post this:

Math Geek Comes Up With Equation to Explain His Lack of a Girlfriend

http://www.asylum.com/2010/01/11/pe...-that-you-shouldnt-feel-bad-if-you-dont-have/

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is somehow both funny and somewhat discouraging at the same time (I am single at the moment)...

4. Jan 13, 2010 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I assume he added in the fact that he spends his time doing stuff like this in teh factors for why he won't find a gf.

5. Jan 13, 2010 #4
    Apparently, according to the article, he has a GF(after the paper was written?). I think his second paper should be

"An experiment on how mathematical modeling affects love life."

6. Jan 13, 2010 #5
    shoot, I use the Drake equation when I choose the bread for the week---

and whether to post something...

7. Jan 21, 2010 #6

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does this mean there's is yet hope for finding intelligent life in the universe, during my lifetime?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  8. Jan 21, 2010 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In my city, there's about 0.758 women that would be an acceptable match. That's actually good news. Considering about 1 out of every 208 million women in the US will be a good match for me, the fact that she's missing a major body part is an advantage.

A woman with a missing leg will be easier to spot in a crowd.

(Plus, I'll bet she'll be really good at speaking in pirate talk, ya know. Yaargh!)

9. Jan 21, 2010 #8
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  10. Jan 21, 2010 #9

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At the rate of .0000034% chance per night, it would take 559 years to raise his chances of meeting the girl to 50%, 1100 years to raise it to 75%, and 3711 years to raise it to 99%.

Yet...he got a girl friend within a short period of time. If he got a girl friend within one year, that means he beat a 99.88% chance of failure. Either his math is off, or he's incredibly lucky...

11. Jan 23, 2010 #10

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, the guy IS an economist....

12. Jan 23, 2010 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not to mention she'd have a harder time running away when she spots you walking toward her. :biggrin:

13. Jan 23, 2010 #12
    I could use that equation to find out what the chances are of me finding something I want to eat when I walk in my kitchen.
    The chances would be almost zero. As I continue looking, my standards get lower and lower and my chances of finding something I want to eat increases. If it's bad enough, my changes of finding something to eat will end up being 100% and have me eating one of those giant shredded wheat biscuits with some slimfast powder for flavor. Which I've done.

So his chances may be low at first, but the longer he stays single, the parameters he inputted into the equation gradually change.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook