Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Edit time for conversation replies is too short

1. Jan 2, 2015 #1

strangerep

Science Advisor

I'm having a nontrivial conversation with Micromass (and dextercioby) about Micro's thesis, but there (seems to be) no full latex preview when preparing conversation replies. After I posted a reply, I needed to do a lot more editing, as the topic (extensions of the nuclear spectral theorem) is quite difficult. But the editing time is only 5 mins(!). Can this be lengthened please?

(In view of the vast amounts of help that Micromass has given on PF, I think he deserves all the comments and suggestions, etc, that sufficiently knowledgeable people on PF could offer.)

Separately, it occurs to me that (sub-)forums for discussion of theses-in-preparation might be useful for many PhD students, if the student so wishes. Currently, that's probably outside the PF guidelines, but if the thesis is being prepared in a formal tertiary environment, maybe that would be ok (since crackpots would be excluded). You could even regard it as a super-advanced extension of the "homework" forum concept... oo)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2015 #2
    I've extended it to 15min for now.

For your second part, the staff is actually discussing it at this moment and hope to unveil a solution in the coming weeks.

4. Jan 4, 2015 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's outstanding!

5. Jan 5, 2015 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The only trouble with such public discussions on PhD theses in progress is that perhaps somebody could steal an idea from the thesis before the one who really works on the subject publishes it. I've never experienced something like this in my field, but I'd be a bit careful.

6. Jan 5, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Well, you shouldn't make sensitive parts public. This is a much more general rule, not limited to this forum.

7. Jan 5, 2015 #6

strangerep

Science Advisor

Yes, that thought occurred to me also. Initially, I thought that having a snapshot of thesis stored at PF might establish priority, but... that's probably more trouble than it's worth.

In any case, I wonder how many PhD students would actually make use of such a facility, and whether the PF community is indeed large enough to engage productively with all the subtle nooks and crannies of the myriad obscure lines of research out there. (Just look at all the reams of new papers appearing daily on the arXiv...)

I begin to suspect a new law of Nature: "Thou shalt not conduct useful scientific research on Internet forums". :oldfrown:

8. Jan 6, 2015 #7

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't SA's have infinite time to edit posts? I can edit my own posts way after I posted it...like several days even.

9. Jan 6, 2015 #8
    The settings for conversations and forum posts are separate.

10. Jan 6, 2015 #9

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, ok.

11. Jan 6, 2015 #10

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Could be useful for some non-critical parts like the description of the experiment, the physics the research is based on, sometimes the analysis method (without result, unless it is public at that time).

For the interesting scientific parts, something I wrote before:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook