Editing old posts after server move

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary, there has been confusion about the time limit for editing posts on the server. It was originally set at 30 minutes, then increased to one hour, and currently stands at 24 hours. This may be due to the recent server move or a change in policy. However, there is concern about the potential for misuse with the longer time limit.
Borek
Mentor
Just noticed - I am able to edit my 12 hours old posts. I though there is a half hour limit - is this a side effect of server move, or new policy?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wasn't aware of any new policy. I'd bet it's a side effect of the move, but we'll have to wait for the definitive answer from Greg.

The post edit time limit has been 24h for a few months following the 30min backlash.

I thought we'd set it to one hour? 24 hours leaves a lot of room for misuse: though, I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere that I must have missed.

Good to know, I was sure it is still 30 minutes.

I noticed this a while back. I thought it was due to the software upgrade.

1. Why is it necessary to edit old posts after a server move?

Editing old posts after a server move is necessary because the server move may have caused changes to the website's structure or functionality. This can result in broken links, missing images, or other errors in old posts that need to be fixed.

2. How do I know which old posts need to be edited after a server move?

The best way to determine which old posts need to be edited after a server move is to conduct a thorough review of your website's content. Look for any broken links, missing images, or other errors that may have been caused by the server move. You can also use tools such as Google Search Console to identify any crawl errors on your site.

3. Can I edit old posts manually or do I need to use a specific tool?

You can edit old posts manually by going into each post individually and making the necessary changes. However, if you have a large number of posts that need to be edited, it may be more efficient to use a specific tool or plugin that can help automate the process.

4. Will editing old posts after a server move affect my SEO?

Editing old posts after a server move should not have a negative impact on your SEO if done correctly. Make sure to use 301 redirects for any changed URLs and ensure that your website's content and structure remain intact. You may also want to submit a new sitemap to search engines to help them crawl and index your updated content.

5. Is there a timeframe for when old posts should be edited after a server move?

There is no specific timeframe for editing old posts after a server move, but it is recommended to do so as soon as possible to avoid any negative impact on your website's performance. The longer you wait, the more likely it is that visitors will encounter errors or broken links on your site.