Editing/Reply help -- How to cancel a draft?

• Complaint
  • Thread starter Peter Cole
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about frustrations with editing and replying on a forum. The poster is having trouble deleting a reply before it is posted and suggests that there should be a "Cancel" button available. Another user suggests using the diskette icon or deleting the text and refreshing the page to discard the draft.
Peter Cole
[Mentors’ note: This post about editing and replying was split from a discussion in the technical forums]

I am new to this forum and can't figure out how to delete this reply after it is opened and before it is posted. What I tried to say wasn't coming out correctly so I wanted more time to think about it or I might just give up and not say anything at all. And now this open reply is like an open wound that won't go away so in order for it to go away I'm going to tell you all about my frustrations concerning replies. And now this open reply is in a place where I can't even figure out who I am trying to reply to or even what I was trying to reply to. I guess the lesson learned is for me to not open a reply until I have constructed my possible reply using my word processor. You'd think that others would have had similar problems and this form would have a "Cancel" button instead of just "Post reply" and "Preview".

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter Cole said:
I am new to this forum and can't figure out how to delete this reply after it is opened and before it is posted
You‘re talking about the way the forum software periodically saves a draft of what you’re typing into the edit window, so every time you come back your old text is still there? The little diskette icon in the toolbar above the edit window will discard the draft. or am I misunderstanding what you’re asking?

Likes jim mcnamara
Nugatory said:
The little diskette icon in the toolbar above the edit window will discard the draft.
Or, if on mobile which doesn't have that icon, just delete your text and refresh the page.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. How do I cancel a draft in the editing/reply section?

To cancel a draft in the editing/reply section, simply click on the "Cancel" button located at the bottom of the page. This will discard any changes made to the draft and return you to the previous page.

2. Can I retrieve a canceled draft?

No, once a draft has been canceled, it cannot be retrieved. It is important to double check before canceling a draft to ensure that you do not lose any important changes.

3. What happens to a draft if I close the editing/reply page without canceling it?

If you close the editing/reply page without canceling the draft, the changes will be saved and the draft will remain in your account. You can access it again by navigating to the draft section.

4. Is there a time limit for canceling a draft?

No, there is no time limit for canceling a draft. You can cancel a draft at any time before submitting it.

5. Can I cancel a draft on a different device?

Yes, you can cancel a draft on a different device as long as you are logged into the same account. The draft will be accessible from any device as long as you do not submit it or discard it.