EENGA 2019 Momentum question -- collision of two masses

In summary: You can do this by multiplying both numerators by v and dividing the result by the denominator. In summary, the energy lost in a collision is p*v^2.
adz7861
Homework Statement
Expression for the total loss of energy after the collision
Relevant Equations
p=mv
KE=1/2mv^2
Capture.JPG

IMG_3353.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
haruspex said:
Ok, but which option does that match?

I keep getting my answer to be C, when the real answer is B

adz7861 said:
I keep getting my answer to be C, when the real answer is B
Then you are making a mistake beyond the working you posted. What you posted matches B.

haruspex said:
Then you are making a mistake beyond the working you posted. What you posted matches B.
The only difference in B & C are the different masses on the nominator. What I've got is the mass of the moving particle (mE) as the nominator. The answer states that it should be ME which is the mass of the stationary particle.
So my working out must be incorrect, unless I'm missing a further step.

I've basically done the KE after the collision - KE before collision to give me a value for the energy loss. I am confused on what to do further after my last equation.

adz7861 said:
The only difference in B & C are the different masses on the nominator. What I've got is the mass of the moving particle (mE) as the nominator. The answer states that it should be ME which is the mass of the stationary particle.
So my working out must be incorrect, unless I'm missing a further step.

I've basically done the KE after the collision - KE before collision to give me a value for the energy loss. I am confused on what to do further after my last equation.
Can you subtract fractions?
Write the second term as a fraction with denominato m+M. Show your working.

adz7861 said:
unless I'm missing a further step.
Exactly. Get your answer into the form of the choices, a single fraction.

1. What is the definition of momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v). The formula for momentum is p = mv.

3. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction. This means that momentum is conserved, or remains constant, in a closed system.

4. How is momentum affected in a collision of two masses?

In a collision of two masses, the total momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. However, the individual momentums of the two masses may change, depending on the type of collision (elastic or inelastic).

5. What factors affect the momentum of an object?

The momentum of an object is affected by its mass and velocity. A larger mass or a higher velocity will result in a greater momentum. Additionally, external forces acting on an object can also affect its momentum.