Eggs, they are what's for breakfast

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
In summary, the paper discusses the impact of human predation on the extinction of the Australian megafaunal bird Genyornis Newtoni approximately 47,000 years ago. With early humans consuming a large number of the bird's eggs, their survivability and reproductive success decreased, leading to a decline in the population. The author suggests that using everyday examples, such as cooking and eating eggs, can help non-science individuals understand complex concepts. However, the author also acknowledges that the stated conclusion in the paper may need further verification.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2016/160129/ncomms10496/full/ncomms10496.html

H Miller et al, 'Human predation contributed to the extinction of the Australian megafaunal bird
Genyornis Newtoni ~47?ka'

This is eggs-actly what I needed 40 years ago for university Intro Biology. It
is a simple example of how decreased survivability of offspring
reduces the fitness of a population. Early humans ate lots of the very large
eggs produced by this species. Fewer eggs means fewer nestlings can survive
long enough to reproduce.

Of course I am assuming the stated conclusion in the paper is verifiable.

But all other things aside, I think non-science folks do much better with
"homey" everyday examples. What could be more down to Earth than cooking and
eating eggs? 47000 years ago. Ignoring the fact that you would have to fight
off a 200kg bird every time you wanted eggs with your morning paper.

Biology news on Phys.org
jim mcnamara said:
http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2016/160129/ncomms10496/full/ncomms10496.html

H Miller et al, 'Human predation contributed to the extinction of the Australian megafaunal bird
Genyornis Newtoni ~47?ka'

This is eggs-actly what I needed 40 years ago for university Intro Biology. It
is a simple example of how decreased survivability of offspring
reduces the fitness of a population. Early humans ate lots of the very large
eggs produced by this species. Fewer eggs means fewer nestlings can survive
long enough to reproduce.

Of course I am assuming the stated conclusion in the paper is verifiable.

But all other things aside, I think non-science folks do much better with
"homey" everyday examples. What could be more down to Earth than cooking and
eating eggs? 47000 years ago. Ignoring the fact that you would have to fight
off a 200kg bird every time you wanted eggs with your morning paper.
I don't know about your egg theory, but it seems to me having a flock of large, carnivorous birds around decreases your offspring's chances of survivability, ergo, one of you must go.

There are still birds around which produce large eggs, but AFAIK, there is no preference for a large egg over the much handier smaller eggs you get from a chicken. If you wanted to eat an ostrich egg for breakfast, you'd have to get up early, fight the ostrich for its egg, and assuming you're successful, then you have to cook the danged thing, which will probably take all day, unless you make scrambled eggs for the whole tribe.

Much easier (and safer) to raise a flock of chickens.

What are the nutritional benefits of eggs for breakfast?

Eggs are a great source of protein, with one large egg containing about 6 grams. They also contain essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin D, vitamin B12, and selenium. Additionally, eggs are low in calories and can help you feel full throughout the morning.

How do eggs contribute to a balanced breakfast?

Eggs are a versatile food that can be prepared in many different ways, making them a great addition to a balanced breakfast. They also provide a good balance of macronutrients, including protein, fat, and carbohydrates, which can help keep you satisfied until your next meal.

Are there any health concerns about eating eggs for breakfast?

As with any food, moderation is key. While eggs can be a nutritious part of a balanced breakfast, they are high in cholesterol and may not be suitable for those with certain medical conditions or dietary restrictions. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional if you have any concerns.

What are some creative ways to incorporate eggs into breakfast?

Eggs can be prepared in a variety of ways, making them a versatile breakfast option. Some creative ideas include making omelets, frittatas, or egg muffins with a variety of vegetables and herbs. You can also try poached eggs on whole grain toast or avocado toast topped with a fried egg.

How do eggs compare to other breakfast options in terms of cost?

Eggs are generally an affordable breakfast option, especially when compared to other protein sources such as meat or dairy products. They are also widely available and can be purchased in bulk, making them a budget-friendly choice for breakfast.