Ehrenfest theorem, is there any condition for the operator Q?

In summary, the conversation discusses the commutation of operators H and Q, with H being the Hamiltonian and Q being a general operator. If Q strongly commutes with H, this is enough restriction, assuming that the wavefunction is in an invariant dense everywhere domain, for H to be a trivial solution of the commutator [Q,H]=0. However, if Q is in terms of (∂/∂t) and (∂/∂x), the commutator may not be zero. There is also a discussion about the use of Ehrenfest's theorem, which requires H to be a function of Q. It is mentioned that when two operators commute, they have no common eigenfunction, and therefore cannot be
Outrageous
For commutator, HQ-QH = 0 .
But for this case as shown below, complex ψQHψ - HcomplexψQψ= 0?
If the operator Q is in term of (∂/∂t) and (∂/∂x) ,then the HQ-QH may not be zero.
Is there any restriction for Q operator?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 468
Physics news on Phys.org
You question is not quite inteligible. You need to specify who the symbols stand for. Who's H, Q ?

dextercioby said:
You question is not quite inteligible. You need to specify who the symbols stand for. Who's H, Q ?

Thanks for replying~
H is Hamiltonian , Q is an operator

Well, if Q strongly commutes with H, this is enough restriction as it stands. Assuming psi(x) is in an invariant dense everywhere domain, H=f(Q) is a trivial solution of [Q,H]=0.

Outrageous said:
For commutator, HQ-QH = 0 .
But for this case as shown below, complex ψQHψ - HcomplexψQψ= 0?
If the operator Q is in term of (∂/∂t) and (∂/∂x) ,then the HQ-QH may not be zero.
Is there any restriction for Q operator?

I think I should ask ,why the H and Q commute each other, how do we know they will commute in general?
The thumbnail I posted is one part for the derivation of ehrenfest's theorem.

dextercioby said:
, H=f(Q) is a trivial solution of [Q,H]=0.

What do you mean? H is a function of Q ? Then they will commute?

Yes, if H=H(Q) such as e.g. H = Q^2, then [Q^2,Q]=0 on all vectors on which the commutator makes sense.

dextercioby said:
Yes, if H=H(Q) such as e.g. H = Q^2, then [Q^2,Q]=0 on all vectors on which the commutator makes sense.

So whenever I want to use Ehrenfest theorem, the operator H= H(Q), eg Q = momentum. If Q = position then I can't use Ehrenfest because H is not f(x). Correct?

One more to ask, I read from somewhere says: when one operator commute another, that means they have no eigenfunction(wavefunction together) . So we can't measure both at the same time.
Why they didn't commute mean we can't measure them at the same time?

1. What is the Ehrenfest theorem and why is it important in quantum mechanics?

The Ehrenfest theorem is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that relates the time derivative of an expectation value to the expectation value of the time derivative of an operator. It is important because it allows us to make connections between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics, and to understand how the classical laws of motion arise from the quantum description of particles.

2. How is the Ehrenfest theorem derived?

The Ehrenfest theorem is derived by applying the Heisenberg equation of motion to an operator, using the commutation relations between operators, and then taking the expectation value of the resulting equation.

3. What is the physical interpretation of the operator Q in the Ehrenfest theorem?

The operator Q in the Ehrenfest theorem represents the classical observable or physical quantity that is being measured. It can be position, momentum, energy, or any other measurable quantity.

4. Is there any condition for the operator Q in the Ehrenfest theorem?

Yes, there is a condition for the operator Q in the Ehrenfest theorem. It must be a Hermitian operator, meaning that it is equal to its own adjoint. This ensures that the expectation value of Q is a real number, which is necessary for the classical interpretation of the theorem.

5. Can the Ehrenfest theorem be extended to include time-dependent operators?

Yes, the Ehrenfest theorem can be generalized to include time-dependent operators. This is known as the extended Ehrenfest theorem and it takes into account the time dependence of the operator Q, allowing us to describe the time evolution of systems more accurately.