Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ehrenfest theorem, is there any condition for the operator Q?

1. Oct 16, 2013 #1
    For commutator, HQ-QH = 0 .
    But for this case as shown below, complex ψQHψ - HcomplexψQψ= 0?
    If the operator Q is in term of (∂/∂t) and (∂/∂x) ,then the HQ-QH may not be zero.
    Is there any restriction for Q operator?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2013 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You question is not quite inteligible. You need to specify who the symbols stand for. Who's H, Q ?

4. Oct 16, 2013 #3
    Thanks for replying~
    H is Hamiltonian , Q is an operator

5. Oct 16, 2013 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, if Q strongly commutes with H, this is enough restriction as it stands. Assuming psi(x) is in an invariant dense everywhere domain, H=f(Q) is a trivial solution of [Q,H]=0.

6. Oct 17, 2013 #5
    I think I should ask ,why the H and Q commute each other, how do we know they will commute in general?
    The thumbnail I posted is one part for the derivation of ehrenfest's theorem.

7. Oct 17, 2013 #6
    What do you mean? H is a function of Q ? Then they will commute?

8. Oct 17, 2013 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, if H=H(Q) such as e.g. H = Q^2, then [Q^2,Q]=0 on all vectors on which the commutator makes sense.

9. Oct 19, 2013 #8
    So whenever I want to use Ehrenfest theorem, the operator H= H(Q), eg Q = momentum. If Q = position then I can't use Ehrenfest because H is not f(x). Correct?

One more to ask, I read from somewhere says: when one operator commute another, that means they have no eigenfunction(wavefunction together) . So we can't measure both at the same time.
    Why they didn't commute mean we can't measure them at the same time?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook