Eigenketes and Eigenvalues of operators

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of eigenkets and eigenvalues in a two-dimensional vector space with an orthonormal basis of kets. The operator A was given, and the task was to find the eigenkets and corresponding eigenvalues. The resulting matrix representation of A was also discussed, as well as the process of finding the matrix representation in the basis of eigenkets. The concept of A|1> and A|2> as eigenvectors was clarified, and it was emphasized that A is an operator from a 2D space to a 2D space, so its matrix representation should also be a 2x2 matrix.
jasonchiang97

Homework Statement

Again, consider the two-dimensional vector space, with an orthonormal basis consisting of kets |1> and |2>, i.e. <1|2> = <2|1> = 0, and <1|1> = <2|2> = 1. Any ket in this space is a linear combination of |1> and |2>. a) [2pt] The operator A acts on the basis kets as A|1> = |1>, A|2> = −|2>. Find the eigenkets (=eigenvectors) of A, and the corresponding eigenvalues. Find the matrix which represents the operator A in the basis of |1> and |2>. Find the matrix which represents the operator A in the basis of eigenkets of A.

Homework Equations

A|a> = c|a>

The Attempt at a Solution

Well for the first part, I just said that if A|a> = c|a> where c is a constant, then |a> is the eigenket or eigenvector and c is the eigenvalue so I got

|1> is the eigenvector and 1 is the eigenvalue for A|1> and |2> is the eigenket and -1 is the eigenvector for A|2>. I am unsure of how to find the corresponding matrix that represents A in the basis of |1> and |2>

Is it just (1 -1) but as a column matrix?

Physics news on Phys.org
The matrix is 2x2 and its ijth element is ##A_{ij} =<i|A|j>##. Can you construct the matrix now?

Yes I figured it out. Thanks!

Okay, so I have my matrix in in the basis of |1> and |2> as (1,0)
(0 1)

Sorry I am not sure how to write matrices on this forum. I am wondering how would I apply the change of basis to get them into the basis of the eigenkets of A? Since the eigenkets is just |1> and |2> wouldn't they be the same basis?

To write matrices and other math expressions, click on the LaTeX link, bottom left and to the right of the question mark.

Constructing the matrix in the eigenket representation, ##|V_1>##, ##|V_2>##, use the same procedure. The ijth element is ##A_{ij}=<V_i|A|V_j>##. If you do it correctly, you will see something that should have been obvious in retrospect.

So if my eigenket is |1> and |2> then would my result not be the same? Or is my eigenkets not |1> and |2>

jasonchiang97 said:
|1> is the eigenvector and 1 is the eigenvalue for A|1> and |2> is the eigenket and -1 is the eigenvector for A|2>.
I believe you have a slight, but important misunderstanding. There is no such thing as an eigenvector of A|1> or an eigenvector of A|2>. Instead, A|1> = |1> means that |1> is an eigenvector of A with eigenvalue 1 and similarly |2> is an eigenvector of A with eigenvalue -1.

A is an operator from a 2D space to a 2D space. As such it should be represented by a 2x2 matrix, not a column or row matrix.

Orodruin said:
I believe you have a slight, but important misunderstanding. There is no such thing as an eigenvector of A|1> or an eigenvector of A|2>. Instead, A|1> = |1> means that |1> is an eigenvector of A with eigenvalue 1 and similarly |2> is an eigenvector of A with eigenvalue -1.

A is an operator from a 2D space to a 2D space. As such it should be represented by a 2x2 matrix, not a column or row matrix.

I see. Just to make sure, the |1> and |2> are used as symbols here to denote the vector in A|1> and A|2> correct? As in it's the same notation but different vector if I were to write B|x> and B|y>

jasonchiang97 said:
I see. Just to make sure, the |1> and |2> are used as symbols here to denote the vector in A|1> and A|2> correct? As in it's the same notation but different vector if I were to write B|x> and B|y>
Although A|1> is a vector, it is not the same as vector |1>. It is the vector you get when you operate on vector |1> with operator A. It is analogous to this idea. If you have a function ##f(x)##, then ##g(x) = df(x)/dx## is a new function that you get when you operate on ##f(x)## with operator ##d/dx##. For the same reason you cannot say that ##f(x)## is used as a "symbol to denote" the function ##df(x)/dx##, you cannot say that vector |1> is used as a symbol to denote vector A|1>.

I understand much better now. Thanks!

1. What are eigenkets and eigenvalues?

Eigenkets and eigenvalues are concepts in linear algebra that are used to describe the behavior of linear operators. Eigenkets are the vectors that do not change direction when acted upon by a linear operator, and eigenvalues are the corresponding scalar values that represent how much the eigenket is scaled by the operator.

2. How are eigenkets and eigenvalues calculated?

Eigenkets and eigenvalues are calculated by finding the solutions to the eigenvalue equation, which is represented as Av = λv, where A is the linear operator, v is the eigenket, and λ is the eigenvalue. This equation can be solved using various methods such as diagonalization, power iteration, or the QR algorithm.

3. What is the significance of eigenkets and eigenvalues in linear algebra?

Eigenkets and eigenvalues are important because they provide a way to analyze the behavior of linear operators. They can be used to determine the stability of a system, find the dominant modes of a system, and even solve differential equations.

4. Can an operator have multiple eigenkets with the same eigenvalue?

Yes, it is possible for an operator to have multiple eigenkets with the same eigenvalue. In fact, the number of linearly independent eigenkets associated with a particular eigenvalue is known as the multiplicity of that eigenvalue. This means that an operator can have a different number of eigenkets for each eigenvalue it possesses.

5. How are eigenkets and eigenvalues used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, eigenkets and eigenvalues are used to represent the possible states of a quantum system. The eigenkets represent the different possible states an observable can have, and the eigenvalues represent the corresponding measurements that can be obtained from these states. This allows for the prediction and analysis of quantum systems.