• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Eigenketes and Eigenvalues of operators

Homework Statement

Again, consider the two-dimensional vector space, with an orthonormal basis consisting of kets |1> and |2>, i.e. <1|2> = <2|1> = 0, and <1|1> = <2|2> = 1. Any ket in this space is a linear combination of |1> and |2>. a) [2pt] The operator A acts on the basis kets as A|1> = |1>, A|2> = −|2>. Find the eigenkets (=eigenvectors) of A, and the corresponding eigenvalues. Find the matrix which represents the operator A in the basis of |1> and |2>. Find the matrix which represents the operator A in the basis of eigenkets of A.

Homework Equations

A|a> = c|a>

The Attempt at a Solution

Well for the first part, I just said that if A|a> = c|a> where c is a constant, then |a> is the eigenket or eigenvector and c is the eigenvalue so I got

|1> is the eigenvector and 1 is the eigenvalue for A|1> and |2> is the eigenket and -1 is the eigenvector for A|2>. I am unsure of how to find the corresponding matrix that represents A in the basis of |1> and |2>

Is it just (1 -1) but as a column matrix?

Answers and Replies

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The matrix is 2x2 and its ijth element is ##A_{ij} =<i|A|j>##. Can you construct the matrix now?

Yes I figured it out. Thanks!

Okay, so I have my matrix in in the basis of |1> and |2> as (1,0)
(0 1)

Sorry I am not sure how to write matrices on this forum. I am wondering how would I apply the change of basis to get them into the basis of the eigenkets of A? Since the eigenkets is just |1> and |2> wouldn't they be the same basis?

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
To write matrices and other math expressions, click on the LaTeX link, bottom left and to the right of the question mark.

Constructing the matrix in the eigenket representation, ##|V_1>##, ##|V_2>##, use the same procedure. The ijth element is ##A_{ij}=<V_i|A|V_j>##. If you do it correctly, you will see something that should have been obvious in retrospect.

So if my eigenket is |1> and |2> then would my result not be the same? Or is my eigenkets not |1> and |2>

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
|1> is the eigenvector and 1 is the eigenvalue for A|1> and |2> is the eigenket and -1 is the eigenvector for A|2>.
I believe you have a slight, but important misunderstanding. There is no such thing as an eigenvector of A|1> or an eigenvector of A|2>. Instead, A|1> = |1> means that |1> is an eigenvector of A with eigenvalue 1 and similarly |2> is an eigenvector of A with eigenvalue -1.

A is an operator from a 2D space to a 2D space. As such it should be represented by a 2x2 matrix, not a column or row matrix.

I believe you have a slight, but important misunderstanding. There is no such thing as an eigenvector of A|1> or an eigenvector of A|2>. Instead, A|1> = |1> means that |1> is an eigenvector of A with eigenvalue 1 and similarly |2> is an eigenvector of A with eigenvalue -1.

A is an operator from a 2D space to a 2D space. As such it should be represented by a 2x2 matrix, not a column or row matrix.
I see. Just to make sure, the |1> and |2> are used as symbols here to denote the vector in A|1> and A|2> correct? As in it's the same notation but different vector if I were to write B|x> and B|y>

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I see. Just to make sure, the |1> and |2> are used as symbols here to denote the vector in A|1> and A|2> correct? As in it's the same notation but different vector if I were to write B|x> and B|y>
Although A|1> is a vector, it is not the same as vector |1>. It is the vector you get when you operate on vector |1> with operator A. It is analogous to this idea. If you have a function ##f(x)##, then ##g(x) = df(x)/dx## is a new function that you get when you operate on ##f(x)## with operator ##d/dx##. For the same reason you cannot say that ##f(x)## is used as a "symbol to denote" the function ##df(x)/dx##, you cannot say that vector |1> is used as a symbol to denote vector A|1>.

I understand much better now. Thanks!