1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues of J_2 + K_1; -J_1 + K_2

1. Feb 25, 2007 #1
    Weinberg in volume 1 of his QFT text says we do not observe any non-zero eigenvalues of [itex]A = J_2 + K_1; B = -J_1 + K_2[/itex]. He says the "problem" is that any nonzero eigenvalue leads to a continuum of eigenvalues, generated by performing a spatial rotation about the axis that leaves the standard vector invariant.

What are the observable consequences of non-zero eigenvalues of A and B?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2007 #2
    Very interesting question to which I unfortunately do not know an answer. But I agree that it is very unsatisfying to argue along the usual lines that no continuous degree of freedom is observed experimentally for massless paricles and then concluding that therefore A and B have to be 0. It would be much more satisfying if we could get this result out of theoretical physics without referring to experiment but unfortunately I have not heard of any such argument, so if anybody knows one I would be delighted to hear about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?