1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic and Inelastic Collisions

1. Jun 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Which of the following statements are true about elastic and inelastic collisions?
    True False for elastic collisions, linear momentum is conserved but kinetic energy is not
    True False for inelastic collisions, neither linear momentum nor kinetic energy is conserved
    True False for inelastic collisions, both linear momentum and kinetic energy are conserved
    True False for elastic collisions, linear momentum is not conserved but kinetic energy is
    True False for elastic collisions, both linear momentum and kinetic energy are conserved
    True False for inelastic collisions, linear momentum is conserved but kinetic energy is not

3. The attempt at a solution
    Answers are in bold, basically this seems really simple i just cant figure out what im doing wrong. Im applying each one as if it were a car accident and thats what i got. Unfortunately the program doesnt tell me which ones are wrong, only that the answer is wrong, can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2007 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are the bold answers your answers or the supposedly correct ones? because they don't look right to me.

In short: in ALL collisions the momentum is conserved. In eleastic collisions the kinetic energy is also conserved whereas in inelastic collisions the KE is not conserved (but the momentum is still conserved)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?