1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic Modulus - Probably a dumb question but I can't do it

1. Oct 29, 2012 #1
    WEIGHT (kg) Length (m) How much it extended (m) STRESS STRAIN
    0.1 0.11 0.4
    0.2 0.13 0.6
    0.3 0.18 0.11

I did an experiment in physics for youngs modulus, I need to workout the stress and strain on an elastic band with weights attached, but I have no idea how.

Could anyone please help me to workout the stress and strain from the data I got from the experiment and please explain how

Regards

Sam

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2012 #2
    Ok, I'm guessing that your columns are respectively weight, length and how much it extended? Anyways to determine E (Young's modulus) we're going to have to know the cross sectional area of the specimen. E=sigma/epsilon so we need to calculate stress with the formula sigma=F/A. Anyways I'm just a first year eng student and I haven't learned much in my materials class yet but as far as I know you're going to need the cross sectional area

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook