Elastic Potential Energy Physics Problem

In summary, the staples inside a stapler are held in place by a spring with a relaxed length of 0.115 m and a spring constant of 51 N/m. When the spring is stretched to a length of 0.150 m, the elastic potential energy stored in the spring is 0.031 Joules. This answer may seem small, but it is correct.
chops369

Homework Statement

The staples inside a stapler are kept in place by a spring with a relaxed length of 0.115 m. If the spring constant is 51 N/m, how much elastic potential energy is stored in the spring when its length is 0.150 m?

Ok, so:
Relaxed length= 0.115 m
k= 51 N/m
x= .150-.115= .035 m

Homework Equations

PE elastic = 1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I did PE elastic = 1/2(51)(.035)^2 and got 0.031 Joules, but this doesn't seem correct. Am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems fine. Is the answer sought in some other units?

No, I just wanted to double check to see if I did the problem correctly. I guess I wasn't expecting such a small number. Thanks for the help.

Welcome!

Woaa.. i have this exact problem with slightly different numbers... Are you doing homework for utexas?

1. What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is the energy stored in a stretched or compressed elastic material, such as a spring or rubber band. It is a type of potential energy that can be converted into kinetic energy when the elastic material returns to its original shape.

2. How is elastic potential energy calculated?

The formula for elastic potential energy is PE = 1/2 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. The unit for elastic potential energy is joules (J).

3. What affects the amount of elastic potential energy in a system?

The amount of elastic potential energy in a system is affected by the spring constant, the displacement of the elastic material, and the type of material used. A higher spring constant and larger displacement will result in a greater amount of elastic potential energy.

4. How is elastic potential energy related to work?

Elastic potential energy is closely related to work, as work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. In the case of elastic potential energy, work is done to stretch or compress the elastic material, storing energy in the form of potential energy.

5. How is elastic potential energy used in real-life applications?

Elastic potential energy is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in springs for trampolines, car suspensions, and pogo sticks. It is also used in rubber bands for holding objects together and in surgical slings for supporting injured body parts. Elastic potential energy is also harnessed in renewable energy sources, such as wind turbines and hydroelectric dams.