1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electricity: Which globe uses most energy?

1. Apr 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two light globes are connected in parallel in a 240V circuit. One light globe has a current of 0.25A flowing through it. The other has 0.41A glowing through it. Which light globe is consuming the most energy and why?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I'm stuck with two possibilities on this one:

1) 0.25 A light globe is consuming the most energy as it has less current going through it. (?)

2) Both are consuming the same amount of energy as in a parallel circuit the voltage remains the same in both globes. As both globes have the same voltage, then they are using the same energy. (?)

(I'm leaning towards 2. But both could be incorrect. I just can't see how current is linked to energy as that is a potential difference (voltage) thing.)

ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2010 #2
    is there an equation to find the energy consumed? if not, find the power of each one ..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook