Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrodynamics in particle physics

1. Jul 9, 2008 #1
    Hi:

I've heard that in electromagnetism, there is a system of units called Lorentz - Heaviside system, and that in particle physics, tis system is used insted of the gaussian or the SI. Why do particle physicist use this system? and by the way, How do we go from the Gaussian system to the Lorentz-Heaviside system?

Thanks a lot for your support

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2008 #2

clem

Science Advisor

Unfortunately particle physicists seem to use Gaussian and L-H in roughly equal numbers,
    although I think (and hope) that Gaussian is winning more recent favor.
    Fortunately, I know of no HEPist who uses SI, except to confuse undergraduates.
    Heaviside "rationalized" that dividing e^2 by 4pi would make some equations simpler. The same confusion is introduced in SI. All you have to do to go from Gaussian to H-L is divide e^2 by 4 pi. The good news is that alpha is the same in all known systems. In Gaussian, alpha=e^2=1/137. In H-L, alpha=e^2/4pi=1/137.
    Be careful in reading any paper or book because some authors don't state clearly which system they are using.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?