1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrodynamics, Potentials, spherical uncharged shells

1. Dec 29, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    using Laplace principle find potential inside an uncharged spherical shell of finite width. shell is placed in an electric field E in z-axis direction.

2. Relevant equations
    eq0001M.gif in this equation u is potential. equation is called 2-D Laplace’s equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    diagram which i picture in my mind is like as under.

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2017 #2
    please dont delete i dont have further info related to problem. its it.

4. Dec 29, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Your image did not Upload correctly. As you know, we cannot provide tutorial help until you show us your best efforts to work the problem. Please try again to Upload a JPEG or PDF image of your work, or just type your work into the forum window using the math symbols under the sigma ∑ symbol, or use LaTeX (see the tutorial under INFO at the top of the page, Help/How-To). Thank you.

5. Dec 31, 2017 #4
    First is preferably to use spherically coordinates for our two-dimensional
    Laplacian. Then you can separate the
    variables and actually obtain two different (simple) differential equations.
    Upon obeying the Dirichlet boundary conditions you obtain a particular solution depending on an integer.
    Then you sum over all values of those
    integer numbers in order to obtain a general solution.
    so

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted