Electromagnetic field in vacuum

In summary, an electron in complete vacuum generates virtual photons even when there is only one electron. These virtual photons have no physical existence, but are only a mathematical concept. Further interactions between two electrons do not create any more virtual photons.
scope
hi,

just to be sure, I believe that an electron in complete vacuum, that does not interact, carries an electromagnetic field, and that this electromagnetic field is mediated by virtual photons even when there is only one electron, in vacuum, that does not interact. is that statement correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
scope said:
hi,

just to be sure, I believe that an electron in complete vacuum, that does not interact, carries an electromagnetic field, and that this electromagnetic field is mediated by virtual photons even when there is only one electron, in vacuum, that does not interact. is that statement correct?

hi scope! :smile:

the phrase "mediated by virtual photons" is almost meaningless …

it's shorthand for "the spin-one creation and annihilation operators which appear in the maths of the perturbation expansion of the Hamiltonian of the electromagnetic field are those of photons"

(there's also twice as many spin-half operators, of virtual electrons)

but the photons aren't real, they aren't physically there in the field (that's why they're called "virtual"! :wink:) …

but subject to that proviso, yes, virtual photons appear in the maths of perturbation theory even for the field of an isolated electron :smile:

Last edited:
0-spin , do you mean that virtual photons have spin 0 instead of spin 1?

oops!

oops! :redface: i don't know why i wrote that :confused:

yes, it should have been "spin-one" … thanks for pointing it out! :smile:

(i've now edited it to correct it)

scope said:
hi!
you told me that an electron in complete vacuum generates virtual photons in vacuum.

no, i didn't say it generates virtual photons, i said "virtual photons appear in the maths of perturbation theory even for the field of an isolated electron"
scope said:
… so I wonder if there are further virtual photons for 2 electrons that do interact than for 2 electrons that do not interact at all. i thought that virtual photons are interactions and therefore further interactions means further virtual photons. what do you think? please help me! thank you!

it's a meaningless question …

there are infinitely many virtual photons in the maths (and also infinitely many virtual electrons), and none in the reality

as strangerep :smile: says in the other thread you started …
strangerep said:
The most important thing to grasp is that virtual photons are unphysical.
They're essentially just terms in a perturbation expansion.

You might as well ask whether, when two combatants glare at each other,
are there more virtual daggers flying between their eyes when they're close
together than when they're far apart?

It's all a bit silly, really.

:wink:

As I point out once a week (!) it is a common misconception here at PF that QED does contain only virtual photons. You can find a gauge which explicitly contains a Coulomb potential term w/o any virtual photon.

In addition "QED with only one electron" is mathematically ill-defined as it violates the condition Q=0 and has infinite energy.

thank you, and what about the energy of the virtual photons instead of the number of them?

It's meaningless as well.

A virtual photon is not "one single photon"; it's an integral over infinitly many photons each carrying an energy E and a momentum p (violating E² - p² = 0). You can associate an energy to each individual photon but this is useless; you can't associate an energy to the whole energy - it's meaningless.

scope, why are you so bothered about virtual photons?

they're no more real than the fairies at the bottom of your garden, or angels dancing on the head of a pin …

of course you can find questions to ask about them, but what's the point of it all?

tom.stoer said:
It's meaningless as well.

A virtual photon is not "one single photon"; it's an integral over infinitly many photons each carrying an energy E and a momentum p (violating E² - p² = 0). You can associate an energy to each individual photon but this is useless; you can't associate an energy to the whole energy - it's meaningless.

and what about saying that for every interaction there is a virtual photon?
what about saying that further interactions mean a further density or intensity of virtual photons?
does that make sense?

No, it doesn't make sense.

If you look at an ordinary Feynman diagram you can draw a wavy line. If the line has one end it's a real photon (interacting with a charged particle at one end); if it has two ends (on both ends it interacts with a charged particle) you may call it a virtual photon. But this is only a mathematical rule which tells you that there are infinitly many "photons" with all values for E and p you can imagine ... and with a Feynman propagator ... and that you must integrate over all E and p ... It makes sense as a mathematical construction and there are rules how to describe it rigorously but its misleading (after all these books from Feynman, Hawking, ... it remains misleading) to think about it as something like a small packet of light!

1. What is an electromagnetic field in vacuum?

An electromagnetic field in vacuum is a physical field that is created by the presence and movement of electrically charged particles. It consists of an electric field and a magnetic field that are perpendicular to each other and propagates through space at the speed of light.

2. How is an electromagnetic field in vacuum different from other types of electromagnetic fields?

An electromagnetic field in vacuum, also known as the electromagnetic radiation or electromagnetic waves, propagates through empty space without the need for a medium. Other types of electromagnetic fields, such as those found in materials, require a medium for propagation.

3. What are the properties of an electromagnetic field in vacuum?

An electromagnetic field in vacuum has two main properties: electric and magnetic fields. These fields are perpendicular to each other and are both oscillating in nature. The strength of the fields decreases as the distance from the source increases and they can also be absorbed, refracted, and reflected by certain materials.

4. How is an electromagnetic field in vacuum produced?

An electromagnetic field in vacuum is produced by the acceleration of charged particles, such as electrons, in motion. This can occur naturally, such as in lightning strikes, or artificially, such as in electronic devices like radios and televisions.

5. What are the practical applications of an electromagnetic field in vacuum?

An electromagnetic field in vacuum has a wide range of practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in communication technologies, such as radio, television, and cell phones. It is also used in medical imaging, such as MRI machines, and in scientific research, such as in particle accelerators. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of the Earth's atmosphere, protecting us from harmful solar radiation.