QED Picture of static EM Fields

• I
  • Thread starter physwiz222
  • Start date
In summary: EM fields. In summary, the electrostatic and magnetostatic fields in QED are not really mediated by virtual photons, but are instead just stronger vacuum fluctuations.
physwiz222
TL;DR Summary
If the picture of electrostatics being due to electrons exchanging virtual photons isnt correct whats the actual QED description of Static EM Fields.
Hello I know in QED the EM field is quantized and described in terms of photons and Classical EM Waves are described as emerging from coherent states of the field. I also heard that Electrostatic and Magnetostatics forces are mediated by Virtual Photons so 2 electrons repel by exchanging virtual photons so the explanation seemed satisfying.

However I learned that Virtual Photons are just a mathematical trick and an artifact of Perturbation Theory and dont really exist and this picture of 2 electrons physically exchanging discrete particles is not correct. If this is the case what is really the Electrostatic or Magnetostatic or even Faraday Quasistatic Field in QED if it isnt simply the exchange of Virtual Photons. Is it maybe just non particle excitations of the EM field is it just stronger Vacuum Fluctuations. I dont know. This might be a tangent but is it possible for Quantum fields in general to have Non Particle excited states. By this I dont mean superpositions of particle states I am talking about a Field State which has nothing to do with particles whatsoever.

I havent really found any great sources they all say the same Virtual Particles dont exist they are only calculational tools for Feynman Diagrams and arent real objects but never say what Static fields like Electrostatic Fields in QED actually are. There are satisfying explanations for EM Waves and Vacuum fluctuations without Virtual Particles but not really any for Electro, Magneto, or Quasistatic Fields.

Keep in mind I want a Virtual Photon FREE picture of it isnt already obvious for static EM fields. I am also asking this because shouldnt the Fundamental Theory of Matter and Light QED have something to say about Electrostatics and Magnetostatics along with Quasistatic Faraday Fields as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the picture of perturbative QED the static Coulomb field emerges due to the necessity to resum an infinite number of Feynman diagrams to take into account consistently at a given order in the coupling constant due to "soft photons".

Another approach is a more careful analysis of what is an asymptotic free state in the context of the long-range nature of the electromagnetic interaction, i.e., due to the masslessness of the electromagnetic field. As it turns out the naive picture of a "naked/bare charged particle" is flawed. The "true asymptotic states" are rather what's called "infra-particle states". These describes that a charged particle always carries its own long-ranged electromagnetic Coulomb field around it.

There are these popular-science metaphors, known as "virtual particles", but what's behind this is just a pragmatic language about what's in the mathematical formalism of perturbative quantum field theory. The Feynman diagrams are just very clever notations for the corresponding formulae of the equations allowing to calculate physically observable facts of particles, i.e., cross sections for scattering events, describing the probability rates for transitions from one asymptotic free state to another. In this metaphorical picture with some grain of salt you can say that a true asymptotic free state of a charged particle is a state of a bare charged particle surrounded by a "cloud of virtual photons", which is just another word for a charged particle surrounded by its own electromagnetic field.

vanhees71 said:
In the picture of perturbative QED the static Coulomb field emerges due to the necessity to resum an infinite number of Feynman diagrams to take into account consistently at a given order in the coupling constant due to "soft photons".

Another approach is a more careful analysis of what is an asymptotic free state in the context of the long-range nature of the electromagnetic interaction, i.e., due to the masslessness of the electromagnetic field. As it turns out the naive picture of a "naked/bare charged particle" is flawed. The "true asymptotic states" are rather what's called "infra-particle states". These describes that a charged particle always carries its own long-ranged electromagnetic Coulomb field around it.

There are these popular-science metaphors, known as "virtual particles", but what's behind this is just a pragmatic language about what's in the mathematical formalism of perturbative quantum field theory. The Feynman diagrams are just very clever notations for the corresponding formulae of the equations allowing to calculate physically observable facts of particles, i.e., cross sections for scattering events, describing the probability rates for transitions from one asymptotic free state to another. In this metaphorical picture with some grain of salt you can say that a true asymptotic free state of a charged particle is a state of a bare charged particle surrounded by a "cloud of virtual photons", which is just another word for a charged particle surrounded by its own electromagnetic field.
So its basically just a modified quantum form of a classical Electrostatic Field. So I can visualize an electron creating an EM field state in a fuzzy superposition of classical electrostatic field configurations.

physwiz222 said:
So its basically just a modified quantum form of a classical Electrostatic Field. So I can visualize an electron creating an EM field state in a fuzzy superposition of classical electrostatic field configurations.
To low orders. At higher orders the electromagentic field about the electron will contain corrections from interactions with the electron field itself, involving electron-positron bubble terms.

Likes dextercioby and vanhees71

1. What is the QED picture of static EM fields?

The QED (Quantum Electrodynamics) picture of static EM (Electromagnetic) fields is a theoretical framework that describes the behavior of electromagnetic fields at the quantum level. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to explain the interactions between electric and magnetic fields and charged particles.

2. How does the QED picture explain the behavior of static EM fields?

The QED picture explains the behavior of static EM fields by treating them as quantized particles called photons. These photons interact with charged particles, such as electrons, causing them to move and create electric and magnetic fields. The QED picture also takes into account the uncertainty principle, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously.

3. What are the key principles of the QED picture?

The QED picture is based on three key principles: the quantization of electromagnetic fields, the uncertainty principle, and the concept of virtual particles. The quantization of electromagnetic fields means that EM fields are made up of discrete packets of energy called photons. The uncertainty principle states that there is a fundamental limit to how precisely we can know the position and momentum of a particle. The concept of virtual particles explains how virtual photons can mediate the interactions between charged particles.

4. How does the QED picture relate to classical electromagnetism?

The QED picture is a more fundamental and complete theory than classical electromagnetism. It provides a deeper understanding of the behavior of EM fields at the quantum level, which is not explained by classical electromagnetism. However, in certain cases, such as when dealing with large-scale systems, classical electromagnetism can still be used as an approximation of the QED picture.

5. What are some practical applications of the QED picture of static EM fields?

The QED picture has many practical applications, including the development of new technologies such as lasers, transistors, and superconductors. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in particle accelerators, as well as in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology. Additionally, the QED picture has been used to make accurate predictions in experiments, confirming its validity as a theoretical framework.