• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Courses Electromagnetism 1 vs. Quantum Mechanics 2

Hi all,

I am an undergraduate junior majoring in materials science who would like some advice with respect to which courses to take for the fall semester of my senior year.

Some background: I am a materials science student and I intend to study spintronics and topological insulators for my Ph.D. research, which I intend to pursue after undergraduate studies are complete. I have already taken Quantum Mechanics 1 and I got an A- in that course, which is an OK grade but perhaps not excellent. I have not taken any electromagnetism courses since the elementary physics sequence years ago.

I can only fit one of these courses into my Fall schedule. Which one is more pertinent to my future studies? Which one should I take?

Last edited:

gleem

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I do not know much of spintronics and QM is essential but I would think that at least an intermediate course in electromagnetism would also be essential. Most QM courses for physicists usually require such a course as a prerequisite.

I'd recommend QM II while the first course is still fresh so you can get more out of it. The same applies to EM assuming you have to take a year of it.