Electromagnetism 1 vs. Quantum Mechanics 2

In summary, the student is seeking advice on which course to take for the fall semester of their senior year. They are majoring in materials science and plan to study spintronics and topological insulators for their Ph.D. research. They have already taken Quantum Mechanics 1, getting an A- grade, but have not taken any electromagnetism courses since their elementary physics sequence. They can only fit one course into their schedule and are unsure which one would be more pertinent to their future studies. They are considering taking QM II while their knowledge from the first course is still fresh, but also recognize the importance of an intermediate course in electromagnetism.
AspiringResearcher
Hi all,

I am an undergraduate junior majoring in materials science who would like some advice with respect to which courses to take for the fall semester of my senior year.

Some background: I am a materials science student and I intend to study spintronics and topological insulators for my Ph.D. research, which I intend to pursue after undergraduate studies are complete. I have already taken Quantum Mechanics 1 and I got an A- in that course, which is an OK grade but perhaps not excellent. I have not taken any electromagnetism courses since the elementary physics sequence years ago.

I can only fit one of these courses into my Fall schedule. Which one is more pertinent to my future studies? Which one should I take?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not know much of spintronics and QM is essential but I would think that at least an intermediate course in electromagnetism would also be essential. Most QM courses for physicists usually require such a course as a prerequisite.

I'd recommend QM II while the first course is still fresh so you can get more out of it. The same applies to EM assuming you have to take a year of it.

1. What is the difference between Electromagnetism 1 and Quantum Mechanics 2?

Electromagnetism 1 and Quantum Mechanics 2 are two different branches of physics that study different aspects of the physical world. Electromagnetism 1 deals with the interactions between electrically charged particles and the electromagnetic field, while Quantum Mechanics 2 focuses on the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.

2. Which one is more applicable in real-world situations?

Both Electromagnetism 1 and Quantum Mechanics 2 have practical applications in the real world. Electromagnetism 1 is used in everyday devices such as radios, televisions, and computers, while Quantum Mechanics 2 is essential in fields such as nanotechnology, electronics, and quantum computing.

3. How do Electromagnetism 1 and Quantum Mechanics 2 relate to each other?

Electromagnetism 1 and Quantum Mechanics 2 are closely related. Electromagnetism 1 is a classical theory that describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while Quantum Mechanics 2 is a quantum theory that explains the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. Electromagnetism 1 can be derived from Quantum Mechanics 2 in certain situations, such as when dealing with large numbers of particles.

4. Which one is more complex to understand?

Both Electromagnetism 1 and Quantum Mechanics 2 can be complex to understand, as they both involve mathematical concepts and principles. However, Quantum Mechanics 2 is considered to be more difficult to grasp due to its abstract nature and the fact that it challenges our everyday understanding of the physical world.

5. Can Electromagnetism 1 and Quantum Mechanics 2 be combined?

Yes, Electromagnetism 1 and Quantum Mechanics 2 can be combined in a theory known as quantum electrodynamics (QED). QED is a quantum field theory that describes the interactions between electrically charged particles and the electromagnetic field. It is considered to be one of the most successful theories in physics, as it accurately describes a wide range of phenomena at both the microscopic and macroscopic levels.