1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetism, finding velocity and acceleration

1. Jun 2, 2013 #1
    1. The diagram attached shows a 0.010 kg metal rod resting on two long horizontal frictionless rails which remain 0.40 m apart. The circuit has a resistance of 3.0 W and is located in a uniform 0.20 T magnetic field. Find the initial acceleration and maximum velocity for the rod.

a) Initial acceleration: 120 m/s2; maximum velocity: 300 m/s
    b) Initial acceleration: 40 m/s2; maximum velocity: 190 m/s
    c) Initial acceleration: 120 m/s2; maximum velocity: 190 m/s
    d) Initial acceleration: 40 m/s2; maximum velocity: 300 m/s

2. Relevant equations

ε=Blv

3. The attempt at a solution

ε=Blv
    v=[itex]\frac{ε}{Bl}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{15}{0.20×0.40}[/itex] = 187.5 m/s

Now I'm not exactly sure how to find acceleration.

I know the initial v was 0 m/s and the final v was 187.5 m/s. I don't have the length of the rods or anything.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your emf = BLv equation assumes the only source of emf is the velocity of the bar in the B field. Buth there is also a second source of emf, to wit, the 15V battery.

Ponder the following statement: "as long as there's current flowing thru the bar, the bar experiences force and therefore acceleration".

4. Jun 3, 2013 #3
    Okay, I got it!

I just use F=ma and solve for the acceleration, since both F and m are given.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted