Electromagnetism - Need Help for Test

In summary: For q_1, the fields point towards the origin, and for q_2, the fields point towards the right. So you would add the vectors from q_1 and q_2 together and get F = k(q_1+q_2)/(r^2) .In summary, the equation for electric field strength is F = k(q_1+q_2)/(r^2) where q_1 and q_2 are the charges located at the origin and right, respectively. The electric field strength is strongest when q_1 and q_2 are close to the origin, and weakest when they are far away. The x-components of the electric field strength are
petern
2zxw02c.jpg

I know I'm suppose to use the equation F = (kq1q2)/r^2

I tried doing [.1/sq. root (2)] m for two of the forces and just .1 m for one. I plug all the numbers into the equation and add up the 3 but it doesn't work.

11ake87.jpg

I really have no clue what to do with this. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
petern said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/121483

I know I'm suppose to use the equation F = (kq1q2)/r^2

I tried doing [.1/sq. root (2)] m for two of the forces and just .1 m for one. I plug all the numbers into the equation and add up the 3 but it doesn't work.

Don't forget that the forces you found have to be added as vectors. (You did realize that the forces from the charges on the y-axis cancel.) What angles do the other forces from the two charges above and below the x-axis make to the x-axis? How do you add up such vectors?

BTW, since all of those charges are on a semicircle, they are all at the same distance from the charge at the center, so you would use the same distance, 0.1 m., for all of them.

Well you would do c^2 = a^2 + b^2. Since it is a 45 degree angle, you would do .1/sq. root of 2 for two of the vectors. You would just use .1 m for the third vector. I've plugged in the number and added the 3 together and it doesn't work.

Also, can you help me on the 2nd question?

petern said:
Well you would do c^2 = a^2 + b^2. Since it is a 45 degree angle, you would do .1/sq. root of 2 for two of the vectors. You would just use .1 m for the third vector. I've plugged in the number and added the 3 together and it doesn't work.

Wait a minute -- let's sort this out first. The distance of the other two charges from the center is not 0.1/sqrt(2) ; all of the charges are on the same circle. So the magnitude of all of the forces is the same

kQq/(0.1^2) .

What are the x-components (since I see there is a note about that pencilled onto the diagram) for each of the charges? The sum of all the x-components gives you the x-components of the total force.

What happens to the sum of the y-components?

Also, can you help me on the 2nd question?

What they are asking for here is the function of the electric field strength on the x-axis for all values of x. You have Coulomb's Law,

F = k(q_1)(q_2)/(r^2) ,

to work with. What can you say about the way the fields of the two individual charges point anywhere along the x-axis? That will tell you how to add up the terms that Coulomb's Law will give you for each charge.

Now, there are three regions to think about along the x-axis. They've placed q_1 at the origin (x = 0) and q_2 a distance d to the right (x = d). So you need to look at the intervals

x < d , 0 < x < d , and x > d.

First off, which way do the fields from each charge point in each of those regions?

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the electromagnetic force, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature. It describes the relationship between electricity and magnetism and how they interact with each other.

2. What are the key components of electromagnetism?

The key components of electromagnetism are electric charges, electric fields, magnetic fields, and electromagnetic waves. Electric charges create electric fields, which in turn produce magnetic fields. Electromagnetic waves are created when electric and magnetic fields interact with each other.

3. How does electromagnetism impact our daily lives?

Electromagnetism plays a crucial role in our everyday lives. It is responsible for electricity, which powers our homes, electronic devices, and transportation. It also plays a role in communication through the use of radio waves, microwaves, and other electromagnetic waves.

4. What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism in electromagnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related in electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. Similarly, when a magnet moves near a wire, it creates an electric current in the wire. This relationship is described by the laws of electromagnetism.

5. How is electromagnetism used in technology and industry?

Electromagnetism is used in a wide range of technologies and industries. It is used in generators and motors to produce electricity and in transformers to transfer electricity over long distances. It is also used in medical imaging, telecommunication, and various manufacturing processes.