Electron-pozitron annihilation, conservation of spin

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of annihilation occurring between an electron and positron, resulting in different spin combinations and final states. The singlet and triplet states are mentioned, with the former leading to a two-photon decay and the latter to a three-photon decay. The probability ratio between the two states is approximately 3:1.
Naake
Hello,
I have one question. The most probability annihilation is e+ + e- -> y + y with spins -1/2+1/2=-1+1. But I heard, so, there exist with small probability other combinations of spin. yy is general spin-2 and e+e- is spin-1 and now there is something purportedly with orbitals s, p, d, but I don´t know what, and its my qustion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Naake said:
Hello,
I have one question. The most probability annihilation is e+ + e- -> y + y with spins -1/2+1/2=-1+1. But I heard, so, there exist with small probability other combinations of spin. yy is general spin-2 and e+e- is spin-1 and now there is something purportedly with orbitals s, p, d, but I don´t know what, and its my qustion.

I think you really need to read up on spin. First of all [tex] e^+ + e^- \rightarrow 2 \gamma \text{ or } 3 \gamma[/tex] has either 0 or 1 total spin initially (due to spin statistics). Therefore, if they are in the singlet state initially (S=0) they can go to the [tex] 2\gamma[/tex] final state. If they are in the triplet state initially (S=1) they can proceed to the [tex] 3 \gamma [/tex] final state.

Hi Naake-
As pointed out by Norman, positronium can have the two fermions in either a triplet state or singlet state. Their lifetimes are triplet state (142 nanosecond lifetime, 3 photon decay) or singlet state (125 picosecond lifetime, 2 photon decay). The probability ratio of triplet to singlet states is about 3:1.
Bob S

1. What is electron-positron annihilation?

Electron-positron annihilation is a process in which an electron and a positron (the antiparticle of an electron) collide and convert their mass into energy in the form of two photons (particles of light).

2. What is the conservation of spin?

The conservation of spin is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system must remain constant in any physical process. This means that any changes in the spin of particles must be balanced by opposite changes in the spin of other particles.

3. How does electron-positron annihilation relate to the conservation of spin?

During electron-positron annihilation, the initial particles have a total spin of zero. This means that the final particles (two photons) must also have a total spin of zero in order to conserve spin. This is achieved by the photons having opposite spins, cancelling each other out and maintaining the total spin of the system as zero.

4. What are some applications of electron-positron annihilation and the conservation of spin?

Electron-positron annihilation is used in medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans, where the annihilation process produces high-energy photons that can be detected and used to create images of the body. The conservation of spin is also essential in explaining the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and in understanding the properties of materials at the atomic level.

5. Are there any exceptions to the conservation of spin?

While the conservation of spin is a fundamental principle, there are some rare processes in which spin can be violated. These processes are only possible in certain conditions, such as high energies or interactions with other particles, and are still being studied and understood by scientists.