Elementary Linear Algebra with Applications 9th or 10th edition?

• Thread starter mitcho
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am about to start a mathematics degree and one of the textbooks I have been advised to get is Elementary Linear Algebra with Applications (10th edition) by Howard Anton & Chris Rorres. This book costs about $130 however I have found the 9th edition of the same book for far less. If anyone is familiar with this book, I am wondering what difference there is between the 9th and 10th editions and will the 9th edition still suffice?
Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Unless it is required by your course in that they are going to quote page and example numbers I doubt there is that many $ worth of advantage.

My 7th edition, which I am not going to trade up any time soon, cost £27 and is a hardback. I would guess the $ price in the States would have been $27, that was the usual conversion.

Is there not a cheaper paperback version?

All that said both the applications version and the version without applications are very good books indeed and heartily recommended.

From what I know the chapters got reorganized in the 10th edition. So if all you are given are chapters to read then you will problably have some problems. I had anyway ;(

Please I need the Visual Basic algorithm for computing Hermite polynomials.
Thank you very much.