Ella's question from Facebook (solving for a variable)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Jameson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary, to solve for t in the first equation, multiply both sides by 9 and divide by pi squared. For the second equation, divide both sides by r to solve for m. In the third equation, subtract 2b and 4c from both sides to solve for a.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
I have 3 problems I'm stuck on. Anyone please help. B=1/9(one ninth)pi to the 2nd power t and trying to solve for t

Then this one, c=1/2(half)mr solving for m

And solve the formula for the indicated variable P=a+2b+4c, for a.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1) I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. Is this it?

\(\displaystyle B=\frac{1}{9} \pi ^2 t\)

2) \(\displaystyle c=\frac{1}{2}mr\)

Multiply both sides by 2.

\(\displaystyle 2c=1*m*r\) or just \(\displaystyle 2c=mr\)

Divide both sides by r.

\(\displaystyle \frac{2c}{r}=m\) so \(\displaystyle m=\frac{2c}{r}\)

3) $P=a+2b+4c$ and solve for $a$

Subtract $2b$ from both sides.

$P-2b=a+4c$.

Subtract $4c$ from both sides.

$P-2b-4c=a$ or $a=P-2b-4c$

Related to Ella's question from Facebook (solving for a variable)

1. How do I solve for a variable in an equation?

To solve for a variable in an equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as addition and subtraction, multiplication and division, or exponentiation and logarithms.

2. What is the order of operations for solving equations?

The order of operations for solving equations is the same as the order of operations in arithmetic: parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), and addition and subtraction (from left to right).

3. How do I know if I have solved for the variable correctly?

You can check if you have solved for the variable correctly by substituting the value you found back into the original equation. If the equation holds true, then you have solved for the variable correctly.

4. Can I solve for more than one variable in an equation?

Yes, it is possible to solve for more than one variable in an equation if the equation has enough information to do so. This is called a system of equations, and it involves using algebraic methods, such as substitution or elimination, to solve for the variables.

5. Are there any shortcuts for solving equations?

There are some common algebraic shortcuts that can be used to solve equations, such as factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. However, these shortcuts may not work for all equations and it is important to understand the underlying concepts and methods for solving equations.