Brie's question from Facebook (finding equation of perpendicular line)

In summary, Brie asked for help finding a perpendicular line using an ordered pair and the equation of the previous line. The equation given was y=3x+3 and the ordered pair was (1,1). Brie used the slope-point equation to solve the problem, and ended up with the correct equation of y=(-1/3)x+(4/3). However, when graphed, the line did not pass through the given point. After checking her work, it was determined that she had solved the problem correctly and the discrepancy may be due to an error in graphing the equation.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
Brie writes:
Hi everyone! I need a little help with finding a perpendicular line using an ordered pair and the equation to the previous line.

The equation is y= 3x+3 and the ordered pair is (1,1).

So far, I've used the slope-point equation to come up with such:

y-y1=m(x-x1)
y-1= -1/3(x-1)
y=(-1/3)(x)-(-1/3)(1)+1
At the end I ended up getting:
y=(-1/3)x+(1/3)+1
y=(-1/3)x+(4/3)

When I graph it, it's not going through the point (1,1) which it should. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Brian's question from Facebook (finding equation of perpendicular line)

Hi Brie, (Wave)

You have solved the problem correctly actually! :) When you plug-in x=1 to your final equation you get \(\displaystyle y=-\frac{1}{3}(1)+\frac{4}{3}=\frac{4}{3}-\frac{1}{3}=\frac{3}{3}=1\), so $y=1$ like we want it to.

If you graph it as well you can see the right angle it forms. What device are you using to graph the equation? Perhaps there is a small error with inputting the equation.

[GRAPH]yua730csio[/GRAPH]

Related to Brie's question from Facebook (finding equation of perpendicular line)

1. What is the formula for finding the equation of a perpendicular line?

The formula for finding the equation of a perpendicular line is y = -1/m x + b, where m is the slope of the original line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do I determine the slope of the original line?

The slope of the original line can be found by using the formula m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are two points on the line.

3. Can you explain what the negative reciprocal of the slope means?

The negative reciprocal of the slope means flipping the fraction and changing the sign. For example, if the slope is 2/3, the negative reciprocal would be -3/2. This is because perpendicular lines have slopes that are opposite in sign and have a product of -1.

4. What is the importance of the y-intercept in the equation of a perpendicular line?

The y-intercept in the equation of a perpendicular line represents the point where the line intersects with the y-axis. It is necessary to include in the equation to fully define the position and orientation of the line.

5. Can you provide an example of finding the equation of a perpendicular line?

Sure, let's say the original line has a slope of 2 and passes through the point (3,4). The perpendicular line would have a slope of -1/2 (negative reciprocal of 2) and pass through the same point. Therefore, the equation of the perpendicular line would be y = -1/2x + 4.