Embedding hyperbolic constant-time hypersurface in Euclidean space.

In summary: Thanks for the clarification, Ben. It makes a lot more sense. In summary, Bernard Schutz in his first course in General Relativity says that the constant-time hypersurface of a FLRW spacetime with k=-1 (hyperbolic) is not realisable as a three-dimensional hypersurface in a four- or higher-dimensional Euclidean space. This contradicts the Strong Whitney Embedding Theorem, which states that any smooth m-dimensional manifold (required also to be Hausdorff and second-countable) can be smoothly embedded in Euclidean 2m-space, if m>0.
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
In Bernard Schutz's 'A first course in General Relativity', p325 (1st edition) he says

" [the constant-time hypersurface of a FLRW spacetime with k=-1 (hyperbolic)] is not realisable as a three-dimensional hypersurface in a four- or higher-dimensional Euclidean space."

On the face of it, this appears to contradict the Strong Whitney Embedding Theorem, which states that :

"any smooth m-dimensional manifold (required also to be Hausdorff and second-countable) can be smoothly embedded in Euclidean 2m-space, if m>0. "

So it should be possible to embed the constant-time hypersurface in Euclidean space of six dimensions, if not less.

Have I misunderstood either Schutz or Whitney here, or is Schutz just wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Whitney theorem only proves that a smooth embedding exists. Schutz is probably talking about an isometric embedding, which in addition to smoothness requires that the metric tensors agree. That is, the pullback along the embedding map of the flat metric tensor on R^n should equal the (already-given) metric tensor on the submanifold.

Hyperbolic spaces are not isometrically embeddable in R^n. They are, however, isometrically embeddable in R^(n,1).

Thanks Ben. It looks like I chose the wrong embedding theorem.
Perhaps the Nash embedding theorem (C1, or Nash-Kuiper, version) gives the general result needed, as that proves the existence of a C1 isometric map from the n-manifold to a hypersurface in En+1.

Schutz's claim would still be wrong, even assuming he meant isometric (which I think he did), wouldn't it, because he says the hyperbolic hypersurface cannot be [isometrically] embedded in any higher dimensional Euclidean space?

Yeah, I was wondering that as well. And yet I've seen this claim in many places that hyperbolic spaces cannot be embedded in R^n.

It seems reasonable to me, for example, that the hyperbolic plane should embed isometrically in R^3, as an infinite sheet that gets more and more wrinkly as you go further from the origin. You can certainly make tesselations of the hyperbolic plane that embed isometrically in R^3, such as the hyperbolic soccer ball.

I think claims such as Schutz's are maybe asking for even more additional requirements. In the case of hyperbolic spaces, I can think of one: symmetry. Hyperbolic spaces embed in R^(n,1) in such a way that all the Killing vectors of the submanifold correspond with Killing vectors of R^(n,1). But embeddings into R^n have "wrinkles" that prevent this. However, this requirement cannot be extended in any natural way to spaces with less symmetry.

Ben Niehoff said:
Yeah, I was wondering that as well. And yet I've seen this claim in many places that hyperbolic spaces cannot be embedded in R^n.

Thanks for the very interesting comments, Ben. Could you elaborate a little on what the problem is with defining both a hyperbolic space and a euclidean space on the same manifold, where the spaces are one (maybe two) dimensions less than the manifold? Would the Euclidean space then just be charts for the hyperbolic space? Would the atlas represent the hyperbolic space?

Last edited:
bobc2 said:
Thanks for the very interesting comments, Ben. Could you elaborate a little on what the problem is with defining both a hyperbolic space and a euclidean space on the same manifold, where the spaces are one (maybe two) dimensions less than the manifold? Would the Euclidean space then just be charts for the hyperbolic space? Would the atlas represent the hyperbolic space?

I'm not sure what you're asking, because I've already elaborated as much as I know.

Second, "Euclidean" vs. "Hyperbolic" is not a matter of charts and atlases. Topologically, R^n and H^n are the same space. But we are talking in the category of Riemannian manifolds, which have a local metric structure.

H^2 can be mapped to the interior of a disk, so it actually embeds in R^2! But this is not an isometric embedding.

1. What is a hyperbolic constant-time hypersurface?

A hyperbolic constant-time hypersurface is a mathematical construct that represents a curved space, specifically a hyperbolic space, in which the concept of time is taken into account. It is called "constant-time" because it has a fixed time parameter and "hypersurface" because it is a higher-dimensional surface embedded in a lower-dimensional space.

2. How is a hyperbolic constant-time hypersurface embedded in Euclidean space?

Embedding refers to the process of representing a higher-dimensional object, such as a hypersurface, in a lower-dimensional space. In the case of embedding a hyperbolic constant-time hypersurface in Euclidean space, it involves mapping the curved space onto a flat, three-dimensional space while preserving its intrinsic geometry.

3. What is the significance of embedding a hyperbolic constant-time hypersurface in Euclidean space?

Embedding a hyperbolic constant-time hypersurface in Euclidean space allows us to study and understand the properties and behavior of a complex, curved space in a simpler, flat space. It also has applications in physics, such as in the theory of relativity and in cosmology.

4. Are there any real-world examples of hyperbolic constant-time hypersurfaces?

Yes, there are several examples of hyperbolic constant-time hypersurfaces in the real world, such as the surface of a saddle-shaped object, the surface of a hyperbolic paraboloid, and the surface of a Pringles chip. These objects can be described and studied using hyperbolic geometry and the concept of a constant-time hypersurface.

5. Is there any practical use for understanding and studying hyperbolic constant-time hypersurfaces?

Yes, understanding and studying hyperbolic constant-time hypersurfaces has practical applications in fields such as physics, mathematics, and computer science. In physics, it helps in understanding the curvature of spacetime and in cosmology, it helps in modeling the universe. In mathematics, it has applications in differential geometry and topology. In computer science, it is used in computer graphics and in creating virtual environments.