Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Emember the old days when a snow storm meant people couldn't work

1. Oct 26, 2006 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yoo hoo!! No school today!! Uh, I mean NO WORK today!!!

Actually, thanks to the internet, I still have to work. I just get to work at home, today. Remember the old days when a snow storm meant people couldn't work and had to spend the day sledding instead? Still, I have fire wood and I have coffee and it's a beautiful day outside.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    An especially beautiful day for my dog. That snow's getting deep!

[​IMG]

And to think - yesterday I was wearing shorts and sandals while filling up the gas tank and doing other things to make sure I was ready for the storm. I just love Fall on the Front Range. :biggrin:

The lights just blinked a couple times. Maybe I'll get to spend the day playing in the snow after all.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2006 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How come you get to stay home? I had to drive to work in the same storm.:grumpy: The streets are slick but at least people are driving slowly.

4. Oct 26, 2006 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You lucky dog! The way it's snowing, that means you get to have a slumber party at work tonight! :rofl:

5. Oct 26, 2006 #4
    lol@ snow dog! I recall a few years on Halloween, where no trick or treaters came because there was too much snow. Then of course I had to eat all the candy:!!) I loved liveing in Colorado.

6. Oct 26, 2006 #5
    bah i thought this was abotu the game company blizzard...but that snow looks fun.

7. Oct 26, 2006 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I hope that's not heading my way!!

I love the snow, hate having to drive in it here, they're not equipped to treat the roads properly here.

8. Oct 26, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh...I was thinking of applying for a new job in Colorado. You may have just convinced me to consider it more seriously! :biggrin: (I was having doubts as I looked at Bob's photos.)

9. Oct 26, 2006 #8
    Looks Wonderful!! We hardly ever get snow here. 1/2 inch and the city shuts down! 18 inches and everything was closed for a week.

10. Oct 26, 2006 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's stopped snowing and the snow is starting to melt. It'll be in the 50's by tomorrow and high 60's over the weekend.

Here's afternoon pictures. The trees in the front didn't fare very well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The other side of the tree in front of the Jeep. If you look close, you can see where the branch snapped.

11. Oct 26, 2006 #10

Astronuc

Sounds like Houston.

Yeah, I just heard about the storm. At one point, three inches of snow in one hour! We had that several years ago, when we had 24 inches of snow in 1 day, which had followed 18 inches of snow during the previous week.

That was the Great East Coast Blizzard that paralyzed the NE. My flight from New Orleans to NY got canceled, so my buds and I spent the night in New Orleans (I had some great blackened redfish - real Cajun style). We took off to Charlotte in the morning and caught a flight to LGA, NY. We were on the final approach to LGA and they closed the airport. So we turned around and flew back to Charlotte, and spent the next 2.5 days in a La Quinta motel and eating breakfast, lunch and dinner at Cracker Barrell. :yuck: We did eat dinner at a Waffle House just for a change. :rolleyes:

12. Oct 26, 2006 #11

Astronuc

We had a late snow like that last year. I could hear trees snapping during the night. I got up the next morning and found one of the branches from a fir tree on my car. It didn't break the windshield, but it did dent the hood. :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?