Emember the old days when a snow storm meant people couldn't work

In summary, the person stayed home from work to enjoy the snow. They loved the snow and miss it when it's not present. Another person stayed at work and experienced the snow. They loved it when it was present, but had issues with roads not being treated properly.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yoo hoo! No school today! Uh, I mean NO WORK today!

Actually, thanks to the internet, I still have to work. I just get to work at home, today. Remember the old days when a snow storm meant people couldn't work and had to spend the day sledding instead? Still, I have fire wood and I have coffee and it's a beautiful day outside.

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/4859/9272006005ez4.jpg [Broken]
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/4555/9272006004jf1.jpg [Broken]
An especially beautiful day for my dog. That snow's getting deep!

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/2341/9272006006gj7.jpg [Broken]

And to think - yesterday I was wearing shorts and sandals while filling up the gas tank and doing other things to make sure I was ready for the storm. I just love Fall on the Front Range. :biggrin:

The lights just blinked a couple times. Maybe I'll get to spend the day playing in the snow after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How come you get to stay home? I had to drive to work in the same storm.:grumpy: The streets are slick but at least people are driving slowly.

marcusl said:
How come you get to stay home? I had to drive to work in the same storm.:grumpy: The streets are slick but at least people are driving slowly.
You lucky dog! The way it's snowing, that means you get to have a slumber party at work tonight! :rofl:

lol@ snow dog! I recall a few years on Halloween, where no trick or treaters came because there was too much snow. Then of course I had to eat all the candy:!) I loved liveing in Colorado.

bah i thought this was abotu the game company blizzard...but that snow looks fun.

I hope that's not heading my way!

I love the snow, hate having to drive in it here, they're not equipped to treat the roads properly here.

hypatia said:
lol@ snow dog! I recall a few years on Halloween, where no trick or treaters came because there was too much snow. Then of course I had to eat all the candy:!) I loved liveing in Colorado.
Ooh...I was thinking of applying for a new job in Colorado. You may have just convinced me to consider it more seriously! :biggrin: (I was having doubts as I looked at Bob's photos.)

Looks Wonderful! We hardly ever get snow here. 1/2 inch and the city shuts down! 18 inches and everything was closed for a week.

It's stopped snowing and the snow is starting to melt. It'll be in the 50's by tomorrow and high 60's over the weekend.

Here's afternoon pictures. The trees in the front didn't fare very well.
http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/7091/blizzard010ws4.jpg [Broken]

http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/4522/blizzard011ei4.jpg [Broken]

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9002/bilizzard007rc0.jpg [Broken]
The other side of the tree in front of the Jeep. If you look close, you can see where the branch snapped.

Last edited by a moderator:
larkspur said:
Looks Wonderful! We hardly ever get snow here. 1/2 inch and the city shuts down!
Sounds like Houston.

Yoo hoo! No school today! Uh, I mean NO WORK today!
Yeah, I just heard about the storm. At one point, three inches of snow in one hour! We had that several years ago, when we had 24 inches of snow in 1 day, which had followed 18 inches of snow during the previous week.

That was the Great East Coast Blizzard that paralyzed the NE. My flight from New Orleans to NY got canceled, so my buds and I spent the night in New Orleans (I had some great blackened redfish - real Cajun style). We took off to Charlotte in the morning and caught a flight to LGA, NY. We were on the final approach to LGA and they closed the airport. So we turned around and flew back to Charlotte, and spent the next 2.5 days in a La Quinta motel and eating breakfast, lunch and dinner at Cracker Barrell. :yuck: We did eat dinner at a Waffle House just for a change. :rolleyes:

BobG said:
It's stopped snowing and the snow is starting to melt. It'll be in the 50's by tomorrow and high 60's over the weekend.

Here's afternoon pictures. The trees in the front didn't fare very well.

The other side of the tree in front of the Jeep. If you look close, you can see where the branch snapped.
We had a late snow like that last year. I could hear trees snapping during the night. I got up the next morning and found one of the branches from a fir tree on my car. It didn't break the windshield, but it did dent the hood. :grumpy:

1. What causes snow storms to prevent people from working?

Snow storms are caused by a combination of low temperatures and moisture in the air. When these conditions are met, snowflakes form and accumulate, making it difficult for people to travel and work.

2. How do snow storms affect transportation?

Snow storms can significantly impact transportation by creating hazardous road conditions, delaying flights, and causing public transportation systems to shut down. This can make it difficult for people to get to work, leading to work disruptions.

3. Can snow storms have long-term effects on the economy?

Yes, snow storms can have significant long-term effects on the economy. They can disrupt businesses, cause power outages, and result in costly damages. This can lead to a decrease in productivity and financial losses for both individuals and companies.

4. Are snow storms becoming more frequent due to climate change?

There is evidence that suggests that climate change may be contributing to more frequent and severe snow storms. As global temperatures rise, there is more moisture in the atmosphere, increasing the chances of snowfall. However, other factors such as natural variability also play a role in the frequency of snow storms.

5. How can we prepare for snow storms to prevent work disruptions?

There are several ways to prepare for snow storms and minimize work disruptions. This includes having a plan in place for remote work, ensuring proper winter weather equipment and supplies are available, and staying informed about weather updates. Employers can also consider flexible work arrangements during severe snow storms to accommodate employees who may have difficulty traveling to work.