Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Emulating SUN3 or SUN4 kernel in cygwin

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    Anyone has any idea about how to emulate a SUN3 or SUN4 kernel in cygwin under windows 7?

I want to run these two softwares SUPREM IV GS and SEDAN III. The are free to download and use from http://www-tcad.stanford.edu/
    It seems from the makefile that it uses sun3 / sun4 architecture and was compiled around 1994.

Please report me any success.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2
    It'd probably be pretty ugly... Cygwin emulates a UNIX-like shell environment on Widows, but not a whole lot of the underlying system, especially graphics which I imagine your desired programs use heavily. The "TOOLS" page I looked at indicates that you might be able to get it running under some types of Linux, so that might be a better approach. IIRC SUNOS was not be entirely POSIX compliant, so some of the underlying sys and lib calls may not match current reality.

4. Jan 18, 2012 #3
    I have access to RHEL 4,5,6 linux. Will I be able to run them there? What will be changed in the Makefile?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook