Energies and wave functions for infinite wall at x=0 with harmonic potential for x>0

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
hamilton5
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What are the energies and wave functions for the quantum mechanical model where V = infinity for x less than or equal to 0 and V = kx2/2 for x greater than or equal to 0?


Homework Equations


1-D particle in a box E = (h2/8m)(n2/L2)

Harmonic Oscillator E = (v + 1/2)(h/2*pi)w


The Attempt at a Solution


Honestly, I had no clue where to start. This was the last problem on our first exam. I tried drawing what it would represent graphically but I'm not really sure what I was supposed to answer... Do I add the energies together? Wave functions? I'm not even sure what format our professor was looking for he didn't tell us...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Solve the Schrödinger equation in each region, x<0 and x>0, and then join the solutions at x=0.