Energies of a particle in a box vs. free particle?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
fhqwgads2005
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
I think I'm trying to reconcile quantum mechanics and special relativity . . . or whatever I'm doing I'm pretty confused.

Ok, so the allowed energy states for a particle in a box are

[tex]E_n = \frac{\hbar^2 \pi^2}{2 m L^2} n^2[/tex].

This seems to mean, as you increase the length L, the particle's energy will tend towards zero. When L becomes very large, the particle will be essentially free, and according to the above equation will have an energy of E~0.

But the minimum energy of a free particle should be its rest-mass energy, E = mc^2, not zero. Also, the ground state (n = 0) energy of a particle in a box is inversely proportional to mass, while the ground state energy of a free particle is directly proportional to its mass.

How do you reconcile these ideas from quantum mechanics and relativity?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The allowed energy levels you have written are derived from the non-relativistic quantum mechanics formalism. Therefore, you won't find relativistic terms.
 
Hmm, so is there a relatively simple way to think about the particle in a box including relativity?
 
Try relativistic quantum mechanics; it's the way to go.
 
The problem can already be understood classically; w/o taking into account a potential V(x) the relativistic energy is

[tex]E=\frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\simeq mc^2 + \frac{1}{2}v^2[/tex]

in non-rel. mechanics you forget about the mc² term; in non-rel. QM you quantize only the v² term
 
tom.stoer said:
The problem can already be understood classically; w/o taking into account a potential V(x) the relativistic energy is

[tex]E=\frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\simeq mc^2 + \frac{1}{2}v^2[/tex]

in non-rel. mechanics you forget about the mc² term; in non-rel. QM you quantize only the v² term

Interesting... maybe one day I'll learn relativistic QM...