1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Collected in one pixel on a CCD.

1. Feb 25, 2014 #1
    There are two telescopes observing at night. The first telescope is 0.3m and has a focal ratio of f/8. The second telescope has a focal ratio of f/4 and is 30m in diameter. They each have an identical CCD camera whose pixels are 25 microns on a side. How much energy will be accumulated in a single pixel in a 100s exposure?

Note: Object being observed has an apparent brightness of 1.0*10^-7 W m^-2 and has an angular diameter of 15 arcsecsonds.

I have determined that the focal ratios of telescope 1= 2.4m and telescope 2 = 120m, and the the energy incident on one pixel:
    =(1.0*10^-7)(2.5*10^-5)^2(100s)= 6.25*10^-10.

I have not taken into account the other variables above and I am not sure how to continue on from this point. Any help on this problem would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2014 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem with CCD pixels is oversaturation. This shows up on photos as bloated stars.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook