1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy eigenstates in non-symmetric potential

1. Apr 4, 2015 #1

dyn

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A potential has V(x)=2V0 for x<0 , V(x)=0 for 0<x<a and V(x)=V0 for x.>a with V0>0. The next 3 questions apply to this potential.

1 - there are 2 energy eigenstates for each energy E>V0 but smaller than 2V0 True or false ?
    2 - there is one normalizable state for each E>0 but smaller than V0 T or F ?
    3 - there are no energy eigenstates for E<0 T or F ?

The recommended time to spend on these 3 questions is 5 minutes in total !

2. Relevant equations

schrodingers time independent equation
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I can look at the 3 regions and solve for the wavefunction. For Q1 I get an exponential decay for x<0 and oscillating functions for the other 2 regions. I could then apply continuity of the wavefunction and its derivative at the boundaries but I only have 5mins for all 3 questions. there must be a quick way. any ideas ? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2015 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

For Q1, I'd guess it's false. If there were two energy eigenstates, what would be the difference between them? For a free particle, you have the freedom to choose the direction of the momentum. You don't seem to have that here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted