Energy in Schrodinger’s Equation

• Thread starter exmarine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the total energy in Schrodinger's equation is defined as the sum of kinetic and potential energy, but it can also be displayed as a constant. In tunneling situations, the potential can be larger than the total energy, and the reference point for potential energy can be set at any convenient point. However, there are certain restrictions and considerations to keep in mind when solving the time-independent Schrodinger equation.
exmarine
I have dozens of physics textbooks, but still can’t get a decisive fix on the energies in Schrodinger’s equation. Start with the "total energy" E. It seems to usually be defined as the sum of the kinetic and the potential.
1. Then why can’t I subtract the potential from both sides of the equation. That doesn’t make any sense.
2. It is often displayed as a constant, i.e., not as a function of position like the potential V(x). Again it doesn’t seem like E could then be the sum of kinetic and potential.
3. In tunneling situations, the potential V(x) is said to be LARGER than the total E. So how can that be true?

My second question is about the reference point for the potential energy. In mechanics, we set zero potential wherever it is convenient, as the change seems to be the only important feature. Is the same true for the potential in Schrodinger’s equation? I notice that in electrostatics, the potential energy is usually set to zero at infinity. So are all the potentials between like charges (repulsive forces) positive and all the potentials between opposite charges (attractive forces) negative?

Someone please write a paragraph (or two or three!) on this? Thanks, I appreciate those on here who have the knowledge and patience to answer questions.

BB

Physics news on Phys.org
exmarine said:
..."total energy" E. It seems to usually be defined as the sum of the kinetic and the potential.
1. Then why can’t I subtract the potential from both sides of the equation. That doesn’t make any sense.
You can...
exmarine said:
2. It is often displayed as a constant, i.e., not as a function of position like the potential V(x). Again it doesn’t seem like E could then be the sum of kinetic and potential.
Generally, conservation of energy does apply.

exmarine said:
3. In tunneling situations, the potential V(x) is said to be LARGER than the total E. So how can that be true?
Classically you would say it has a negative potential energy. This is just one of the myriad wonders of quantum mechanics---wonders which our minds just weren't built for.
exmarine said:
In mechanics, we set zero potential wherever it is convenient, as the change seems to be the only important feature. Is the same true for the potential in Schrodinger’s equation?
For the most part, yes. There are some additional things that need to be considered: e.g. the square of the wave-function must be normalizable (thus the potential generally needs to approach zero at infinity), etc etc.
exmarine said:
So are all the potentials between like charges (repulsive forces) positive and all the potentials between opposite charges (attractive forces) negative?
It is the gradient of the potential that determines the direction of the force. [tex]F = - \nabla U [/tex]

Hi, BB.

exmarine said:

You can, but it is not eigenvalue equation any more.

exmarine said:

E is eigenvalue. E should be value so that the equation is eigenvalue equation.

exmarine said:

For that kinetic energy should be negative, i.e. exponential damping of wave function occurs.

Regards.

If one can subtract the potential from both sides of the equation, then it can have no influence on the solution - is that not correct? Somehow I don't believe that.

exmarine said:
In mechanics, we set zero potential wherever it is convenient, as the change seems to be the only important feature. Is the same true for the potential in Schrodinger’s equation?

You can add to the potential any function that will not change
the Euler Lagrange equation of the motion.

Full equation

[tex]\hat{H}\Psi(x,t) = \hat{E}\Psi(x,t)[/tex]

Where hats denote operators. If H is time-independent, we look for solutions of the form

[tex]\Psi(x,t) = \psi(x)\phi(t) [/tex]

So then we have

[tex]\left(\hat{H}\psi\right)\phi = \psi\left(\hat{E}\phi\right) = E\psi\phi[/tex]

Here, E is just a number. This gives us two individual equations to be solved.

[tex]\hat{E}\phi = E\phi[/tex]

[tex]\hat{H}\psi = E\psi[/tex]

Keeping in mind that operator E is always the time derivative with some factors, it's easy to solve the first equation.

[tex]\hat{E}\phi = i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\phi = E\phi[/tex]

[tex]\phi(t) = e^{-i \frac{E}{\hbar}t}[/tex]

The second equation depends on specific form for H, and is usually written in this form.

[tex]\hat{H}\psi = \left(-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + V(x)\right)\psi = E\psi[/tex]

And that's your time-independent Shroedinger equation as you are used to seeing it.

1. What is Schrodinger's Equation?

Schrodinger's Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of quantum particles in a given system. It is a mathematical equation that predicts the probability of finding a particle in a particular location and state.

2. How does energy factor into Schrodinger's Equation?

In Schrodinger's Equation, energy is represented by the Hamiltonian operator, which is used to calculate the total energy of a quantum system. It takes into account the kinetic energy of the particle as well as its potential energy within the system.

3. What is the significance of the energy eigenvalues in Schrodinger's Equation?

The energy eigenvalues in Schrodinger's Equation represent the allowed energy levels for a particle in a given system. These values are quantized, meaning they can only take on specific discrete values, and they correspond to the energy levels that a particle can occupy in a particular system.

4. How does the time-dependent and time-independent forms of Schrodinger's Equation differ?

The time-dependent form of Schrodinger's Equation takes into account the changes in a particle's state over time, while the time-independent form only describes the particle's state at a specific point in time. The time-independent form is used for stationary states, while the time-dependent form is used for non-stationary states.

5. Can Schrodinger's Equation be used to calculate the exact energy of a quantum system?

No, Schrodinger's Equation can only predict the probability of finding a particle in a particular energy state. The exact energy of a system can only be determined through experimental measurements.