1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy is needed to drive an ecosystem

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1
    Energy is needed to "drive" an ecosystem

Energy is needed to "drive" an ecosystem. What is the fundamental source of that energy?
    A. Chemical Bonds
    B. Heat
    C. Organic Fuel
    D. Sunlight

I am not sure about this question but I think the answer is D. Sunlight is this correct? And if so why ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2010 #2
    Re: Energy is needed to "drive" an ecosystem

This question requires a context. Or else if general, it requires a general knowledge of science. My thougt is solar energy is fundamental- it heats plants and animals, enables photosynthesis. When animals eat the plants, their enzymes break apart the chemical bonds obtaining heat or energy storage for themselves. Organic fuel is also general- if they mean fossil fuel, it is thought that living things die, are buried and treated with high temperature and pressure, becoming hydrocarbons. But all these trace back to solar heat.

4. Jan 21, 2010 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Re: Energy is needed to "drive" an ecosystem

Well, since there are some ecosystems that don't require sunlight, such as those around hydro-thermal vents, it seems to me that the common element in all ecosystems is chemical bonds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook