What did I learn from my summer job in engineering?

In summary, the conversation was about summer jobs and if they were related to the speakers' studies in engineering. One speaker worked at Radio Shack, which gave them insight into consumer preferences for technology. The other speaker worked in the concrete/materials industry and learned about the importance of practical skills and the negative effects of bad leadership. Both speakers found their summer jobs to be valuable learning experiences.
budala
summer jobs are over.
school starts next week.
did you have a summer job related to your studies-engineering?
did you learn anything or was it just a pepper work?

pls tell me a bit more about your summer job, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I am an EE/CpE major. I am entering my "Junior Year" (I am really a second year junior because I played around too much the last couple of semesters. I did not pursue an internship over the summer, but still wanted to work.

So I worked at Radio Shack all summer. I think that it is SOMEWHAT related to my studies. Not directly, but I got to see how most consumers want technology to be. Of course consumers want electronics to be as simple an non-technical as possible.

So I worked really hard on talking about somewhat technical things non-technically (if that makes sense).

I'm a engineering chem, but with a lot of physics. I am going to major in physics later on.

I had a summerjob that was somewhat relevant to my studies. It was in the concrete/materials-business. They produced concrete elements with styrofoam on as part of the isolation material. I stood in the packaging end of the line. I learned a lot.

Some industries are really using suboptimal equipment. Some industries got really nice power struggles between the employees because they find themselves powerless and take out the frustration on those under them. Very frigging nice indeed. The fast and furious worked in my section, like I personally like it. I hated when a slow and lazy and most of the times a fat fatty mcfatfat did break down the flow of the line, making us missing production goals. That made me rage, A L-O-T.

I also figured out that an engineer should learn how to weld, turning, use a proper set of tools etc. My practical learning goals for this semester is to learn all that, of course my school got some basic courses in that.

I learned how a factory works as a whole. What bad leadership is. How you should not apply discipline to a job. Etc.

This job was horrible, I hated it most of the times, it gave me some extra friends, but the only really valuable thing it gave me was a short text of what I had learned on the job. I wrote it down a couple of days after I got out of work.

So all in all, it gave me valuable experience, more motivation to better myself in school and a valuable reference. :) They liked my work they said the last day.

What is engineering?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes that solve real-world problems.

What types of engineering are available for summer jobs?

There are various types of engineering disciplines that offer summer job opportunities, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, biomedical, and environmental engineering. Each discipline has its own focus and specialization.

What skills are required for a summer job in engineering?

Some common skills required for a summer job in engineering include strong math and science skills, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, communication and teamwork skills, and familiarity with engineering software and tools.

What are the benefits of having a summer job in engineering?

Summer jobs in engineering offer a variety of benefits, such as gaining practical hands-on experience, networking with professionals in the field, developing technical and soft skills, earning income, and exploring different career options within the engineering industry.

How can I find a summer job in engineering?

There are multiple ways to find a summer job in engineering, including networking with professionals, attending job fairs and career events, checking online job portals, and applying directly to companies. It is also beneficial to reach out to your university's career center for job opportunities and resources.