Entanglement Between Different Types of Particles?

• Thread starter referframe
  • Start date
referframe
Gold Member
From what I have read so far, it seems as though entanglement can only exist between particles of the same type (2 photons, 2 electrons, etc.) - that their Hilbert spaces must be compatible and of the same dimension.

Is that correct?

As always, thanks in advance.

Answers and Replies

xts
All entanglement experiments were performed with identical particles. But you may (theoretically) entangle parameters of different particles. I see no reason why, e.g., spins of electron and proton should not be entangled.

Ken G
Gold Member
And I think positrons/electrons are a common topic for entanglement gedankenexperiments, like the Greene version of the EPR paradox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPR_paradox). In a way its cleaner-- identical particles exhibit a second form of "entanglement" that has to do with their indistinguishability, gives us the Pauli exclusion principle (for fermions), and is a bit different from what people usually mean by quantum entanglement.

kith
Science Advisor
From what I have read so far, it seems as though entanglement can only exist between particles of the same type (2 photons, 2 electrons, etc.) - that their Hilbert spaces must be compatible and of the same dimension.
What do you mean by "compatible" Hilbert spaces? Mathematically, a composite quantum system with Hilbert spaces H1 and H2 is described by the tensor product H1⊗H2 which does not require the spaces to be of the same dimension. For example, the spatial Hilbert space of a free electron has the dimension infinity while its spin Hilbert space has the dimension 2.

Entangled two-particle-states typically look like |a1>⊗|b1> + |a2>⊗|b2>. The important property here is that when particle a is in state |a1>, particle b is in state |b1> with certainty. Not that the states |a> and |b> live in the same Hilbert space.