Entanglement/Nonlocality question

• Thread starter Jewlian
  • Start date
In summary, the EPR paradox arises from the entanglement of two particles, where the measurement of one particle affects the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances. This contradicts the concept of locality in quantum mechanics, where each particle is assumed to have a physical reality independent of the other. However, the phenomenon of entanglement and non-locality has been proven to exist through experiments and is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.
Jewlian
I'm sure something like this has been posted before but I would appreciate if you humor me. I've been reading the Wikipedia article on the EPR paradox and it greatly confused me.

Let's start with the basic premise that we have two entagled particles A and B.

Expriment 1:

We measure the spin of particle A along the x-axis. Then we measure the spin of particle B along the x-axis. As I understand it the measured x-axis spin of B will always be the opposite of the measured x-axis spin of A.

Experiment 2:
We measure the spin of particle A along the x-axis. Then we measure the spin of particle A along the y-axis. Then we measure the spin of particle B along the x-axis. Would the measured spin of particle B along the x-axis still be the opposite of the measured x-axis spin of A ?

Physics news on Phys.org
My answer would be: it depends on the details of the experiment.

Jewlian said:
I'm sure something like this has been posted before but I would appreciate if you humor me. I've been reading the Wikipedia article on the EPR paradox and it greatly confused me.

Let's start with the basic premise that we have two entagled particles A and B.

Expriment 1:

We measure the spin of particle A along the x-axis. Then we measure the spin of particle B along the x-axis. As I understand it the measured x-axis spin of B will always be the opposite of the measured x-axis spin of A.

Experiment 2:
We measure the spin of particle A along the x-axis. Then we measure the spin of particle A along the y-axis. Then we measure the spin of particle B along the x-axis. Would the measured spin of particle B along the x-axis still be the opposite of the measured x-axis spin of A ?

Yes. The intermediate measurement of Alice along the y-axis has no effect on the results.

I'm really missing something, I don't get the paradox here. Why is it interpreted as action at a distance. Why can't we say that "When particles are entangled they have the opposite spins on all axis. Then the first observation causes this relationship to break"?

Einstein, Podolsky and Rosen, who invented this type of reasoning, did not say that there is a "paradox". They simply argued that quantum mechanical description is not complete.

Jewlian said:
I'm really missing something, I don't get the paradox here. Why is it interpreted as action at a distance. Why can't we say that "When particles are entangled they have the opposite spins on all axis. Then the first observation causes this relationship to break"?

There is no paradox. It is just that, as Bell showed, the system cannot be explained by a locally realistic model. This means that if you assume that each of the widely separated particles has a physical reality independent of the other particle, then you cannot explain the results. In order to explain the results, you have to treat the total system of the two particles together, which is why we say that the two particles are 'entangled'.

Jewlian said:

The interpretation is a result of the idea that the entangled wave state exists at (space-like) separated points in spacetime. Of course, this is actually true of the state of any individual particle as well. So this is sometimes referred to as quantum non-locality. This means that there is apparent non-locality but with limits consistent with the quantum world. Causes and effects won't propagate faster than c, but wave function collapse will.

1. What is entanglement/nonlocality?

Entanglement/nonlocality is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them. This means that measuring or manipulating one particle can instantaneously affect the other, even if they are separated by vast distances.

2. How does entanglement/nonlocality occur?

Entanglement/nonlocality occurs when two or more particles interact and become correlated in their quantum states. This can happen through various processes, such as spontaneous emission, particle collisions, or through the use of quantum devices like entanglement generators.

3. What is the significance of entanglement/nonlocality in quantum computing?

Entanglement/nonlocality is a crucial concept in quantum computing as it allows for the creation of quantum circuits that can perform calculations and communications at a much faster rate than classical computing. This is because entangled particles can transmit information instantaneously, making quantum computers highly efficient for certain types of calculations.

4. Can entanglement/nonlocality be used for communication?

Yes, entanglement/nonlocality has the potential to be used for secure communication. This is because any attempt to intercept or measure the entangled particles will cause them to become disentangled, making it clear that the communication has been tampered with. This makes entanglement/nonlocality an ideal tool for quantum cryptography.

5. Is entanglement/nonlocality a proven phenomenon?

Yes, entanglement/nonlocality has been experimentally confirmed through various experiments and is a well-established concept in quantum mechanics. It has also been used in practical applications, such as quantum teleportation and quantum key distribution, further solidifying its validity.