Entering theoretical physics with a CS degree via IIT JAM and JEST

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
xavier_r
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Well studying at home seems harder to me, than studying in a university...
Now I want some real advice... From someone who knows the Indian System of Study

I have done my Bachelors in Computers from Univ. Pune... in 2007
I want to go into Theo. Physics... Masters then PhD... and not waste another 3 years in doing BSc. Physics...

A possible path that looks good to me is:

1. Go for IIT Jam 2009, get into MSc. Applied Mathematics in IIT Roorkee
(I am eligible for that with my given background, had four semestors of Math)
2. Next after my completion of MSc. I can sit for JEST and head on to a PhD
(for which an Applied Math. Course is elligible)

Are there any other routes by which I can go into theo. physics. In the above way, i have to go through two very hard tests ie., JAM and JEST...

Can I go for theo. physics degree in a foreign university after doing Applied Math course?
Or will I require a mandatory physics degree?
Or should I concentrate on studying at home, and then start writing my own papers?

Sorry for my ramblings... But I really do not see a path leading to a productive theo. physics career...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is quite specific: you shouldn't be surprised if it takes a few days for someone who has some useful advice to come along. Please be patient.
 
It also might help if you had a more descriptive title.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
It also might help if you had a more descriptive title.

How do I change the title ...?
 
xavier_r said:
How do I change the title ...?

You can't edit a thread yourself, but if you wish to change the title then you can report your thread and have a mentor do it for you.