Entropy of Schwarzschild black holes

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
nomadreid
Gold Member
I am trying to reconcile three things:
(1) The entropy of a black hole is proportional to the logarithm of the number of possible states of that object to give the same event horizon.
(2) The only parameter for a S. black hole is its mass, since its electric charge and angular momentum are, by definition, absent.
(3) The entropy of a S. black hole is huge, and definitely non-zero.

So, there are different states for the black hole, but how is that possible, when the entropy is clearly defined by the unique parameter, its mass? I'm missing something elementary here..........

Answers and Replies

bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am trying to reconcile three things:
(1) The entropy of a black hole is proportional to the logarithm of the number of possible states of that object to give the same event horizon.
(2) The only parameter for a S. black hole is its mass, since its electric charge and angular momentum are, by definition, absent.
(3) The entropy of a S. black hole is huge, and definitely non-zero.

So, there are different states for the black hole, but how is that possible, when the entropy is clearly defined by the unique parameter, its mass? I'm missing something elementary here..........
I think the idea here is that parameters like mass (and charge and angular momentum) are like the macroscopic properties of a cylinder of helium: pressure and volume pretty much do it. A high-entropy object is one that has many microscopic states for a given macroscopic state. When the black hole evaporates, its hidden microscopic degrees of freedom will be made visible again.

Having said that, I get the general impression that nobody really knows for sure how to count the degrees of freedom of a gravitating system.

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Stephen Hawking showed how the entropy of a black hole was represented by the surface area of its event horizon.

nomadreid
Gold Member
Thank you, bcrowell. In other words, what I did not take into consideration is time: the entropy now depends on events in the future or in the past. Makes sense, so that your definition would have to say "a high-entropy object is one that has, had, or will have many microscopic states for a given macroscopic state."

Also, I guess its microscopic degrees of freedom before evaporation need not be called "hidden", since they are "revealed" in the Bekenstein-Hawking entropy of the horizon. Otherwise one would have to incorporate events with memory into the description.

nomadreid
Gold Member
Chronos: Thanks, this was implicit in my original question, and I was remiss in not making that more explicit. [I do so in my answer to bcrowell to which I answered just before receiving your comment.]