Epsilon-delta proof for lim(6x-7)=11 as x->3

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
appplejack
Messages
43
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I just want to make sure I include all the steps in doing this:

lim (6x-7) = 11
x->3


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


given ε>0, we need to find a δ>0, such that 0< lx-3l < δ then 0 < l (6x-7)-11 l < ε
To prove this I need to make 0 < l (6x-7)-11 l < ε look like 0< lx-3l < δ

1. l 6x-18 l < ε = l x-3 l < ε/6

2. let δ = ε/6

3. lx-3l < δ = > lx-3l < ε/6

This still doesn't feel like I proved something but was there something that I missed?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What you have proved is that if δ=ε/6 then lx-3l<δ -> |(6x-7)-11|<ε. That should really be your last line. And, yes, that proves your limit.