Epsilon-delta proof for limits (multivariable)

In summary: The function is defined as (2y2+x, -2x+7, x+y), where y is the negative of x. To solve for y, we use the quadratic equation:y = (-2x+7)^2 + (x+y)^2In order to solve for x, we use the general equation for a quadratic function:x = (a+bx)^2To solve for y, we use the substitution y = (-2x+7)^2 + (x+y)^2:x = (-2+7x)^2 + (x+y)^2
Zeeree

Homework Statement

:
the question wants me to prove that the limit of f(x,y) as x approaches 1.3 and y approaches -1 is (3.3, 4.4, 0.3). f(x,y) is defined as (2y2+x, -2x+7, x+y).
[/B]

The attempt at a solution: This is the solution my lecturer has given. it's not very neat, sorry.
http://imgur.com/CfmIodw

So far, I've managed to understand what's going on, up till the part that says choose delta as min{1, epsilon/11} I'm really not sure how he got the 11 over there in the denominator. I can see how it fits at the last line of the page and it makes sense. but How did he get it firstly? Is it arbitrary, can it also be something like 10, 12 etc?

Sorry if this seems silly.

Physics news on Phys.org
##\displaystyle \frac \epsilon {12}## would work as well. 10 as denominator gives a value that is too large.

How to get 11: experience. If in doubt, take 1000. Or leave the denominator blank and fill it out once you got to the last line.
Such a prefactor is irrelevant - you'll also often see proofs that end with ##|a-b| < 11 \epsilon## instead of having the 11 earlier. That is perfectly fine.

Zeeree said:

Homework Statement

:[/B]
the question wants me to prove that the limit of f(x,y) as x approaches 1.3 and y approaches -1 is (3.3, 4.4, 0.3).
f(x,y) is defined as (2y2+x, -2x+7, x+y).The attempt at a solution: This is the solution my lecturer has given. it's not very neat, sorry.
http://imgur.com/CfmIodw

So far, I've managed to understand what's going on, up till the part that says choose delta as min{1, epsilon/11} I'm really not sure how he got the 11 over there in the denominator. I can see how it fits at the last line of the page and it makes sense. but How did he get it firstly? Is it arbitrary, can it also be something like 10, 12 etc?

Sorry if this seems silly.[/B]
Hello Zeeree. Welcome to PF !

I see that the function is given as
upload_2016-7-12_21-31-52.png

At the very least, you should use ^ to indicate exponentiation. Even better, use the X2 feature or LaTeX.

f(x,y) = (2y2+x, -2x+7, x+y) .

1. What is an epsilon-delta proof for limits in multivariable calculus?

An epsilon-delta proof is a method used to rigorously prove the existence of a limit of a multivariable function at a specific point. It involves choosing a value for epsilon (ε) and showing that for all values of delta (δ) within a certain distance from the point of interest, the function's output will be within ε units of the limit value.

2. How is an epsilon-delta proof different from other methods of proving limits?

Epsilon-delta proofs are more rigorous and precise compared to other methods, such as graphical or algebraic approaches. They require the use of formal logic and involve choosing a specific value for epsilon to prove that the limit exists, rather than estimating or approximating it.

3. What are the steps involved in an epsilon-delta proof for limits in multivariable calculus?

The steps in an epsilon-delta proof include: stating the definition of a limit, choosing a value for epsilon, finding a corresponding value for delta, proving that the function's output is within ε units of the limit value for all values of x within δ units of the point of interest, and concluding that the limit exists.

4. Can an epsilon-delta proof be used to prove the continuity of a multivariable function?

Yes, an epsilon-delta proof can also be used to prove the continuity of a multivariable function at a specific point. In this case, the value of epsilon will be small enough so that the function's output is within ε units of the limit value for all values of x within δ units of the point of interest.

5. Are there any limitations to using an epsilon-delta proof for limits in multivariable calculus?

One limitation is that it can be time-consuming and requires a strong understanding of formal logic and the definition of a limit. It may also not be feasible to use in certain situations, such as when the function is not continuous or when the limit is undefined.