1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equal friction method for duct sizing

1. Nov 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the attachment.

2. Relevant equations
    Chart of pressure loss due to friction for steel ducts : http://postimg.org/image/4iml9x761/

3. The attempt at a solution
    I dont understand the deltaP/L column of the results table.
    Where did the values come from? Shouldn't they all be 0.063 in.wg / 100ft or 0.5 Pa/m since the principle of the equal friction method is to have the same pressure loss per length for the entire system?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi pinkcashmere. I don't know if others have the same difficulty, but I can't see anything in your docx attachment. Can you grab some relevant images (perhaps with a snipping tool) and upload them so they are visible in the thread? You will get better results here at PF if helpers don't have to download files from offsite and they can see the problem without having to click through to images.

4. Nov 30, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi gneill,
    I printed out the Word document pinkcashmere posted as an Acrobat file, which is attached below.

Attached Files:

5. Nov 30, 2015 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Thanks. Wow! 2.4 MB docx file becomes a 171 KB pdf, and it boils down to a half page of text. I have seen the end of civilization, and it is a result of bloatware :smile::smile::smile:

edit: okay, I didn't page down. A page and a half of text o_O

6. Nov 30, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The reason the .docx file was so huge, I believe, was that it consisted of several pages scanned from a text book. Those image files are generally dumped into the .docx file with no compression.

7. Dec 2, 2015 #6
    Is not this column for straight pipe only (not equivalent length)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted