Equation involved complex number

In summary, a complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part, written in the form a + bi. The difference between a real number and a complex number is that a real number can be represented on a number line, while a complex number cannot. To add or subtract complex numbers, you combine the real and imaginary parts separately. The complex conjugate of a complex number has the same real part but an opposite sign on the imaginary part. Complex numbers are important in equations because they allow us to solve problems that cannot be solved with real numbers alone and have many applications in various fields.
alijan kk

Homework Statement

Value of x and y , when (x+yi)2= 5+4i

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x2+2x(iy)-y2=5+4i
x2-y2=5 -------> (1)
2x(iy)=4i (imaginary part)
xy=2 --------> (2)

solving the two equations

x=2.388 and y=0.838
or x=-2.388 or y=-0.838

is this the right way to solve it ?
its a multiple choice question and the options are:
x=2,y=-1
x=-2,y=1
x=2,y=-i
x=2,y=2

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me like you solved it correctly. It looks like an error in the initial problem, like a missing minus sign somewhere.

Likes alijan kk
alijan kk said:

Homework Statement

Value of x and y , when (x+yi)2= 5+4i

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x2+2x(iy)-y2=5+4i
x2-y2=5 -------> (1)
2x(iy)=4i (imaginary part)
xy=2 --------> (2)

solving the two equations

x=2.388 and y=0.838
or x=-2.388 or y=-0.838

is this the right way to solve it ?
its a multiple choice question and the options are:
x=2,y=-1
x=-2,y=1
x=2,y=-i
x=2,y=2

Another (easier) way to get a numerical solution is to use a polar representation of complex numbers. If ##x+iy = r e^{i \theta}## then ##(x + iy)^2 = r^2 e^{2 i \theta} = 5 + 4i##. We have ##r^2 =\sqrt{ 5^2 + 4^2} = \sqrt{41},## so ##r = \sqrt{\sqrt{41}}##. Also, ##\tan (2 \theta) = 4/5,## so ##\theta = (1/2) \arctan(4/5).## You can evaluate ##\theta, \sin(\theta)## abd ##\cos(\theta)## on a calculator, and so get ##x = r \cos(\theta), y = r \sin(\theta)##.

Likes alijan kk

What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (defined as the square root of -1).

What is the difference between a real number and a complex number?

A real number is a number that can be represented on a number line and does not contain an imaginary part. A complex number, on the other hand, contains both a real and an imaginary part and cannot be represented on a number line.

How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (5 + 4i) = (3 + 5) + (2i + 4i) = 8 + 6i.

What is the complex conjugate of a complex number?

The complex conjugate of a complex number is a number with the same real part but an opposite sign on the imaginary part. It is denoted by putting a bar over the original complex number. For example, the complex conjugate of 3 + 2i is 3 - 2i.

Why are complex numbers important in equations?

Complex numbers are important in equations because they allow us to solve problems that cannot be solved with real numbers alone. They also have many applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, they are used in electrical engineering to represent AC currents and in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles.