How to find z^n of a complex number

In summary: There is a very very similar problem to this one; where z is ##z = \frac{6}{1+i} ## The exact same is required and I did everything the same. I got z = a+bi and polar form; both are correct according to the solutions.And I tried the same formula I used here and I get the same result ##z^4 = -324 ## and this is the correct result.What am I missing in the first example? Is it just luck that in the second example the solutions match, and I am not doing this right? If this is not the way how should I approach this.Thanks in advance!No expert here, but
arhzz
Homework Statement
Find z^6 of a complex number
Relevant Equations
-
Hello! (Not sure if this is pre or post calc,if I am in the wrong forum feel free to move it)

So im given this complex number ## z = \frac{6}{1-i} ## and I am susposed to get it in polar form as well as z = a+bi

I did that; z = 3+3i and polar form ##z =\sqrt{18} *e^{\pi/4 i} ##

Now Im susposed to find ##z^4 ## I didnt know how to that of the top of my head so I googled a bit and found that this should work.

$$ z^n = r^n(\cos(\phi n) +i\sin(\phi n)) $$ Okay so my n = 4, phi should be 45 degrees. So i typed everything in my calculator and I get -324.

This is wrong,the answer should be ##z^4 = -243 ## But here is the part that confuses me

There is a very very similar problem to this one; where z is ##z = \frac{6}{1+i} ## The exact same is required and I did everything the same. I got z = a+bi and polar form; both are correct according to the solutions.

And I tried the same formula I used here and I get the same result ##z^4 = -324 ## and this is the correct result.

What am I missing in the first example? Is it just luck that in the second example the solutions match,and I am not doing this right? If this is not the way how should I approach this.Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No expert here, but I get z= 3 +3i and z^4 = -324 same as you.
For the second, z= 6/(1 +i) I get z=3 -3i and z^4 = +324
Maybe the first -243 is a typo?

Merlin3189 said:
No expert here, but I get z= 3 +3i and z^4 = -324 same as you.
For the second, z= 6/(1 +i) I get z=3 -3i and z^4 = +324
Maybe the first -243 is a typo?
Hmm I dont know I'm really starting to suspect it might be a typo.But how do you get a positive value for the second one? Could you please post how you are calculating that?

arhzz said:
Homework Statement:: Find z^6 of a complex number
Relevant Equations:: -

Hello! (Not sure if this is pre or post calc,if I am in the wrong forum feel free to move it)

So im given this complex number ## z = \frac{6}{1-i} ## and I am susposed to get it in polar form as well as z = a+bi

I did that; z = 3+3i and polar form ##z =\sqrt{18} *e^{pi/4 i} ##

Now I'm supposed to find ##z^4 ## I didn't know how to that of the top of my head so I googled a bit and found that this should work.
You could write z as ##\displaystyle z =3\sqrt{2}\ e^{(\pi/4) i} ## . Right? (Use \pi for ##\pi##.)

What is ##\displaystyle \left(3\sqrt{2} \ e^{(\pi/4) i}\right)^4 ## ?

$$ z^n = r^n(cos(\phi n) +isin{\phi n) $$ Okay so my n = 4, phi should be 45 degrees. So I typed everything in my calculator and I get -324.

This is wrong. The answer should be ##z^4 = -243 ## But here is the part that confuses me

There is a very very similar problem to this one; where z is ##z = \frac{6}{1+i} ## The exact same is required and I did everything the same. I got z = a+bi and polar form; both are correct according to the solutions.

And I tried the same formula I used here and I get the same result ##z^4 = -324 ## and this is the correct result.

What am I missing in the first example? Is it just luck that in the second example the solutions match, and I am not doing this right? If this is not the way how should I approach this.Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Yes I agree, as does my calculator which does complex math. The answer is -324 for both.

I guess the real lesson here is to recheck your work and then be confident. Can you bill your instructor for your lost time?

Likes arhzz
DaveE said:
Yes I agree, as does my calculator which does complex math. The answer is -324 for both.

I guess the real lesson here is to recheck your work and then be confident. Can you bill your instructor for your lost time?
To be honest I did not lose so much time on that. I've also checked my work multiple times and did another similar problem and it gives me the correct result (calculating it the same way I did the first 2 problems)

Thanks for your help!

Likes DaveE
Oops, yes. -324 for both. Sorry. (-18i)^2 = (+18i)^2 = -324

Likes arhzz
arhzz said:
Homework Statement:: Find z^6 of a complex number
Relevant Equations:: -

. . .

But here is the part that confuses me

Thanks in advance!
I didn't read the second part of your OP carefully enough.

Also, I assume that the Homework Statement should be: Find ##z^4## of a complex number.

So you first had ##\displaystyle z = \dfrac{6}{1-i}##, which can be written as ##\displaystyle z=3+3i##. You also found that in this case, ##\displaystyle z^4 = -324 ## , which is correct, as several people have said.

Then you mentioned another problem, namely, find ##z^4## for ##z## being ##\displaystyle \dfrac{6}{1+i}## . (For this ##z## you should find ##\displaystyle z=3-3i##). You seemed puzzled to find that even though ##z## was different, you got the same value,
##-324,## for ##z^4##.

To help answer why they're the same:

What do you get for ##\displaystyle (3+3i)^2## ?

What do you get for ##\displaystyle (3-3i)^2## ?

Likes arhzz
Alternatively:$$(1-i)^4 = 1 -4i -6 +4i +1 = -4$$$$(1 + i)^4 = 1 +4i -6 -4i +1 =-4$$

Likes arhzz and SammyS
Got it now thank you!

arhzz said:
What am I missing in the first example? Is it just luck that in the second example the solutions match,and I am not doing this right? If this is not the way how should I approach this.

[itex]1 + i[/itex] and [itex]1 - i = \overline{1 + i}[/itex] are complex conjugates. Since [itex]\overline{z^n} = \bar{z}^n[/itex] for any positive or negative integer [itex]n[/itex], [tex]\left(\frac{6}{1 + i}\right)^{4} = \left(\frac{6}{\overline{1-i}}\right)^{4} =
\overline{\left(\frac{6}{1 - i}\right)^{4}} = \overline{-324} = -324.[/tex]

Likes DaveE, arhzz, DrClaude and 1 other person
SammyS said:
You could write z as
##\displaystyle z =3\sqrt{2}\ e^{(\pi/4) i} ## . Right? (Use \pi for ##\pi##.)
Fixed the issue with ##\pi## in the OP, and edited a subsequent equation that wasn't rendering.

pasmith said:
Since [itex]\overline{z^n} = \bar{z}^n[/itex] for any positive or negative integer [itex]n[/itex],
I find it much quicker to write ## than [itex] for inline Tex, and $$ rather than [tex] for standalone Tex.

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that consists of a real part and an imaginary part. It is typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the imaginary unit.

2. How do I find the power of a complex number?

To find the power of a complex number, you can use the formula (a + bi)^n = (a^n - b^n) + (n * a^(n-1) * b) * i, where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number and n is the power you are raising it to.

3. Can I use the same rules for finding powers of complex numbers as I do for real numbers?

No, the rules for finding powers of complex numbers are different from those for real numbers. In addition to the formula mentioned above, you can also use the polar form of a complex number to find its power.

4. What is the polar form of a complex number?

The polar form of a complex number is written in the form r(cosθ + i sinθ), where r is the magnitude of the complex number and θ is the angle it makes with the positive real axis. This form is useful for finding powers of complex numbers as it involves simpler calculations.

5. How do I convert a complex number from rectangular form to polar form?

To convert a complex number from rectangular form to polar form, you can use the formulas r = √(a^2 + b^2) and θ = tan^-1(b/a), where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number. Once you have calculated r and θ, you can write the number in polar form as r(cosθ + i sinθ).