Equator and perpendicular bisector

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about the use of the term "equatorial line" in relation to a line of charge. The person summarizing points out that this is an unusual use of the term and that the author may have meant "perpendicular bisector" instead. There are also concerns raised about the clarity and accuracy of the diagram provided. It is suggested that the author may be a non-native speaker of English and that there may be some confusion or misunderstanding surrounding the concept of an "equatorial line" in this context.
gracy
EQUATOR.png

The pointed line is equator as well as perpendicular bisector.Right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the perpendicular bisector of the triangle. I have never seen the term equator with reference to a triangle.

This question belongs in the math forum.

mathman said:
This question belongs in the math forum.
No.Actually I was learning electric field along equatorial line.

Equatorial line of what? Of the Earth?

nasu said:
No.Equatorial line of the attached image.

nasu said:
bisector..png

look at figure 18.5

What is the context?
You may call it equatorial line, if you use some more general meaning of the word.
Is this a translation from another language?

The important thing is what is that line? What properties does it have? And again, context.

nasu said:
Is this a translation from another language?

I am sorry but what are you referring to?

gracy said:
Equatorial line of the attached image.
That is an unusual use of the word; the author is using some imagery here to relate the sphere to the Earth.

EDIT: see later correction
The problem involves a charged sphere. The equator doesn't relate to the triangle directly, it relates to the positioning of the line charge. Picture the line charge as lying along the equator of the charged spherical shell under consideration. Distance L is marked on that equatorial line. (Assuming I'm understanding it correctly.)

Last edited:
Where do you see the reference to a charged sphere? I only see a line of charge.
But it is not clear, the image should show more than it does.

The figure 18.5 that gracy attached does not refer to a sphere at all. I think the person who wrote the text is a non-native speaker of English (from India, by the looks of it), and therefore made a poor choice of words. Or maybe Indian English does indeed regularly use "equatorial" in this sense.

I think it's clear from the diagram that "equatorial line" here means what American and British English speakers call "perpendicular bisector."

Likes gracy
I believe jtbell has the right grasp of the situation.

There seem to be are a number of problems with the text. The major one being the use of the word "equatorial" in association with a line charge. I can only find the word equatorial to be defined* in association with a dipole (equal point charges of opposite polarity). I can't find another reference where the word "equatorial" is associated with any other charge distribution, certainly not a line charge because it seems clear that a line charge loses any analogy with Earth and its pair of opposite poles. Perpendicular bisector is the term that should be used.

* http://www.physics4all.org/XII/Ch_1/img_14.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes gracy

What is the Equator?

The Equator is an imaginary line that runs around the middle of the Earth, dividing it into the Northern and Southern hemispheres. It is located at 0 degrees latitude and is approximately 40,075 kilometers long.

What is a perpendicular bisector?

A perpendicular bisector is a line that cuts another line segment into two equal parts at a 90 degree angle. It is the shortest distance from a point to a line and divides the line segment into two equal halves.

How are the Equator and perpendicular bisector related?

The Equator and perpendicular bisector are related in that they are both imaginary lines that divide something into equal parts. The Equator divides the Earth into Northern and Southern hemispheres, while the perpendicular bisector divides a line segment into two equal parts.

What are some real-life applications of the Equator and perpendicular bisector?

The Equator is used in geography and navigation to help determine locations and distances on Earth. The perpendicular bisector is used in geometry and construction to create right angles and divide objects into equal parts.

How do you find the Equator and perpendicular bisector?

The Equator can be found at 0 degrees latitude using a map or globe. The perpendicular bisector can be found using a compass and straight edge, by drawing two arcs that intersect and then drawing a line through the intersection at a 90 degree angle.