Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Equatorial platform: any experiences?

1. Jun 1, 2016 #1

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was trawling the net and came across an equatorial platform that you can put a Dobsonian on. It claims to give you about an hour of tracking and then you have to start again.
    The geometry of it looks clever as you never need to be actually tilting the Dobs base by more than a few degrees.
    The firm seems to have stopped trading so they clearly weren't selling enough of the platforms (which were fairly expensive). Have any PFstronomers ever used one or owned one?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2016 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, it's being tilted to an angle that is the same as your latitude and you are doing a rough polar alignment
    you dobbo isn't really a dobbo any more, now its a scope on a fork mounted equatorial mount

I could do a similar thing with my fork mounted Al/Az mount scope. There are wedge units available to make it an equatorial mount
    here's a www pic of the scope I have on its standard mount ......

ImageGen.ashx?image=%2Fmedia%2F647864%2F11074_CPC_925_GPS_1.jpg

and here's the wedge for it that goes between the base of the mount and the top of the tripod ....

C93664-2T.gif

to give the final result of ......

CELESTRON_CPC_925_HD_WEDGE.png

you could always build your own wedge, not horrifically difficult if your are mechanically minded and have a reasonable workshop or access to one

Dave

4. Jun 3, 2016 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The equatorial platform I refer to is not like that at all . I did consider doing the 'obvious' myself and concluded that the Dob's base would fall over unless it was bolted down and the azimuth bearing would be subjected to an asymmetrical load.
    This mount is Actively Driven and follows a star position for about an hour. It tilts by only about 5 degrees. If you look at the link you will see it holding massive Dobs models. It doesn't need to tilt much because it only provides 'correction' and the Dobs bearing operates as it was designed.
    [Actually, I gave the wrong link. There seem to be two companies; the US one seems to be functioning still but the UK one has stopped selling them. - too cheap to be making a profit, probably]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  5. Jun 3, 2016 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yeah OK, after looking at this page ...
    http://www.equatorialplatforms.com/about.our.platforms.shtml

I see what they are doing ... interesting idea

Dave

6. Jun 3, 2016 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks an expensive system and hardly worth it for a 'little' 8" Dobs. An ordinary heavy duty EQ mount would only cost a few hundred quid with Go-to thrown in.
    The U.K. Site for those platforms gives a simple description of the principle. The back and front of the platform move in different diameter (counter rotating?) circles to keep the scope locked on target.
    Some nifty sums there, I think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted