Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Establishing that a function is discontinous

1. Jan 6, 2014 #1
    According to the definition of continuity in topology a function f:X -> Y is continous if for every open set V in Y, the set ##f(V)^{-1}## is open in X. I have found this definition powerfull in dealing with proofs of a more general nature, but when presented with the trivially discontinous function from the reals to the reals

$$f(x) = 1 \ \text{for} \ x< 0, \ 0 \ \text{for} \ \ x \geq 0 $$

I have problems to argue why this function is obviously not continuous from the above definition.
    Which open set do I choose in it's codomain which is not open in it's domain?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2014 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The set (-1/2,1/2) (or any open set containing zero and not 1) has as its inverse image [itex] [0,\infty) [/itex] which is not open.

Basically as long as you include a small open set around a discontinuity you are good to go if the set is small enough.

4. Jan 7, 2014 #3
    Thanks! It's clear now. My confusion lied in trying to construct open sets in the image of f instead of the codomain.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook