Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimating and Calculating Uncertainties

1. Apr 12, 2015 #1
    Hey could someone help me grasp the seemingly impossible concept of uncertainties?
    I'm having a lot of trouble understanding how to estimate, calculate and pretty much anything else to do with uncertainties.
    Muchly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What have you been reading and researching so far? Can you post some links, and ask specific questions about those links?

4. Apr 12, 2015 #3
    I've been reading through the Openstax physics text book (http://openstaxcollege.org/textbooks/college-physics/) but its more for the pracs that im doing. I have one on Statics and Torque tomorrow and there is measurement involved and of course uncertainties and im just unsure how to find out the uncertainty. For example if I am using a ruler to measure the length of a spring and the ruler has 1mm increments, what is the uncertainty?

5. Apr 14, 2015 #4
    You question comes under the category of Measurement Science, or Metrology Uncertainty Budgets. Specifically, the uncertainty in measuring an analog scale is called measurement resolution--and specifically for analog devices rather than digital readouts, for instance. You might refer to NIST technical note 1297 for more than you ever wanted to know.

6. Apr 21, 2015 #5
    fantastic. Thanks a lot!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook