1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler Bernoulli Beam 4th order ODE -Balance of Units

1. Nov 15, 2012 #1
    Folks,

I am trying to understand the balance of units for this eqn

## \displaystyle \frac{d^2}{dx^2}(E(x)I(x) \frac{d^2 w(x)}{dx^2})+c_f(x)w(x)=q(x)##

where ##E## is the modulus of Elasticity, ##I## is the second moment of area, ##c_f## is the elastic foundation modulus, ##w## is deflection and ##q## is the distributed transverse load.

Based on the above I calculate the units to be

## \displaystyle \frac{d^2}{dx^2}[\frac{N}{m^2} m^4 \frac{d^2 m}{dx^2}]+\frac{N}{m^2} m=\frac{N}{m}##

gives

##\displaystyle {Nm^3} +\frac{N}{m}=\frac{N}{m}##

##LHS \ne RHS##....?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

The derivatives ##\frac{d^2}{dx^2}## have units of ##1/m^2##.

4. Nov 16, 2012 #3
    Ok, I see how they balance now. The question I have is how is this shown mathematically that the 2nd derivatives have ##1/m^2## units?

##f(x)= f(units in meters)##
    ##f'(x)= f(units in meters)##
    ##f''(x)= f(units in meters)##....?

5. Nov 16, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

df/dx is defined as [itex]\lim_{h\to 0} (f(x+h)- f(x))/h[/itex]. The numerator is in what ever units h has. The denominator is in whatever unis x has- "meters" in your case- so the derivative has the units of f divided by the units of x and the second derivative has units of units of f divided by the units of x, squared.

Surely you learned this in basic Calculus? if f(t) is a distance function, with units "meters" and t is time, in "seconds", then df/dt is a speed with units "meters per second" and d2f/dt2 is an acceleration with units of "meters per second squared".

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook